View Single Post
      06-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Brand new 2024 - X5 50e - check engine light on

I started this in another thread, but I think it's worth it to see how many people are affected by this or BMW's policy in similar situations.

It turns out that a couple days after taking delivery I noticed the check engine light on. I took it to the service center because I had plans for a getaway weekend and drive on the highway and I didn't want any surprises. The SA told me that it must be something simple and deleted the code using a simple OBD scanner. Advised me that if it happens again, I should bring the car back.

After two weeks the check engine light came on again and I made an appointment and dropped the car at the service center thinking I could pick it up the next day.

To my surprise, they called me 2 days later to tell me that the fault is caused by a refrigerant shut off valve for the high voltage battery unit and that the part is in backorder from Germany. Estimated time just to get the part…. drum roll…. 3 months.

I reacted a little surprised and I said... now what? are you giving me another new car? are you buying this one?...

Well, it turns out dear BMW enthusiasts that BMW just cares about selling and that’s it. At this point they told me that I need to call BMW of North America which I did and after speaking to a computer for 20 minutes, a human took my name and VIN number and said that in about a week, my case will be assigned to a case manager.
So far, I don’t have a car, not even a loaner and I’m so frustrated and feel so powerless that I’m thinking about hiring a lawyer. Unfortunately, regardless of the outcome, this will take a lot of time and money to fix thanks to BMW’s policies.

The SA told me they have other cars with the same problem, so if your brand-new car is also affected, let me know your thoughts on how to proceed. Either wait for a loaner and then wait 3 months for the part or sue them. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by walketed; 06-15-2023 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 16
radmjk241.50
Vnoxdev39.50
P111593.00
ASAP10256.50
JMD646.50
BSfmAZ105.00