View Single Post
      02-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #29
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
Agree 100%, however, due to ambient noise while driving a car you cannot hear their subtleties. The HK system is boomy b/c the OEM amp is incapable of delivering clean watts to the woofers while having to power all of the other speakers and starts to clip/distort when you turn up the volume. Bass in cars is also "one note" due to the limited cabin space - there is not enough room for the longer wavelengths (eg. a 40hz wave is around 28 feet long).

Edit: The noise floor is entirely relevant. 63db is equivalent to sitting next to a dishwasher or air conditioner. Absolutely affects soundstage and your perception.
Owning both systems a G05 HK and G07 B&W I can hear a huge difference in clarity and the sound stage is night and day difference. The speaker quality and placements are just not there with the HK system. You could power them to be louder but the accuracy will never be there. They are what they are which is a adequate mid-level audio system. The noise floor is constantly changing with road and occupancy. It’s always going to be a unavoidable presence but it’s never so overwhelming to discount a decent dynamic range when listening to movies and music on the move.

Keep in mind I have a masters degree in acoustic engineering and have owned two very successful production studios for the last 25 years. I custom order my reference speakers to my specifications for my studios from B&W for the last 20 years. They are a outstanding product even at the consumer level. The B&W system that was designed for BMW is a steal for what they are asking. I get paid to tune reference rooms and pick apart acoustics. The BMW B&W is not perfect but damn impressive compared to any top factory audio system from any luxury brand for mobile audio.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-05-2021 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
RatedX0.00