BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Homelink (garage opener) issues

In my last residence (rental), I could activate the garage door even before I pulled into the driveway. At my new place (rental), I'm parked in the driveway as close to the door as I can be and it takes many attempts before the garage door finally opens.

I have a keypad just outside the door that always works. It was there when I moved in, I just had to replace the battery and program it.

So as I try to troubleshoot this, I am first unplugging the WIFI booster in the living room which is right above the garage. It's possible the WIFI is causing some intereference. If this doesn't work, I will just re-bind the homelink to the garage opener.

My question is, has anyone else ever had intermittent issues with the homelink remote working with your garage door? This unit is a "Wayne Dalton - Quantum". They always put cheap stuff in these townhouses.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
In my last residence (rental), I could activate the garage door even before I pulled into the driveway. At my new place (rental), I'm parked in the driveway as close to the door as I can be and it takes many attempts before the garage door finally opens.

I have a keypad just outside the door that always works. It was there when I moved in, I just had to replace the battery and program it.

So as I try to troubleshoot this, I am first unplugging the WIFI booster in the living room which is right above the garage. It's possible the WIFI is causing some intereference. If this doesn't work, I will just re-bind the homelink to the garage opener.

My question is, has anyone else ever had intermittent issues with the homelink remote working with your garage door?

Rob
one thing to know is that LED lights can interfere with the signal immensely. there are some “garage-compatible” LED lights available. you’ll have to troubleshoot whether it’s the ones in the garage door opener itself or the other fixtures inside the garage if you have LED lights installed.

that said, I noticed HomeLink signal strength is simply subpar compared to the original remote. this is something else to consider as well as your new environment. you could have moved into an area with increased “interference” in general
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019324.00
      Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #3
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Are your garage doors metal clad? Testing the LED lights is easy to do -- just unscrew the bulbs. They can be noisy, and splatter RF interference all over the spectrum.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #4
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Definite signal blocking, but....

I saw part of a yellow wire which I assume to be the antenna barely showing. I pulled on it and there's about 17 inches of wire just hanging out now. The remote now works on a single button press.

Someone must have had the unit open at one point.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob_G77; Yesterday at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4769.00
      Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #5
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Our Toyota's open the garage door as soon as we turn on the street. The X5 has to be right in front of the house and requires several pushes most of the time.
Very aggravating.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #6
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
Our Toyota's open the garage door as soon as we turn on the street. The X5 has to be right in front of the house and requires several pushes most of the time.
Very aggravating.
At least it works though

Mine now works with the X5 in the driveway, but range still seems limited compared to my old place.

Rob
Appreciate 0