BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2023, 10:24 PM   #1
Northeastern101
Private
Rep
Drives: XI

iX to 50e

Anybody make the jump from an iX to the X5 50e? If so how was the transition back from pure EV and why did you make the switch?
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4769.00
      11-04-2023, 12:21 AM   #2
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

I have a fair bit of seat time in an iX and owned a MYP previously. EV vs PHEV really comes down to your needs. EV drives a bit better and has more natural power delivery, but the limited highway range and poor charging infrastructure (even with a Tesla) were killers for me. They limited how I could use my car, which I just hated. 50e is the best of both worlds. I can do essentially all my driving on the battery but have ICE available if I need more range or just want to make vroomy sounds.

On driving manners, the iX has less body roll than the 50e. It feels more powerful and has smoother power delivery. 50e is a lot more comfortable and has a more luxurious interior. 50e has far better ground clearance especially with the ability to change ride modes. 50e has slightly better cargo and passenger accessibility. iX has a stupid steering wheel and the 50e msport wheel is nice.
Appreciate 4
      11-04-2023, 07:39 AM   #3
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
I have a fair bit of seat time in an iX and owned a MYP previously. EV vs PHEV really comes down to your needs. EV drives a bit better and has more natural power delivery, but the limited highway range and poor charging infrastructure (even with a Tesla) were killers for me. They limited how I could use my car, which I just hated. 50e is the best of both worlds. I can do essentially all my driving on the battery but have ICE available if I need more range or just want to make vroomy sounds.

On driving manners, the iX has less body roll than the 50e. It feels more powerful and has smoother power delivery. 50e is a lot more comfortable and has a more luxurious interior. 50e has far better ground clearance especially with the ability to change ride modes. 50e has slightly better cargo and passenger accessibility. iX has a stupid steering wheel and the 50e msport wheel is nice.
It would appear that many others who have interest in EV/PHEVs have come to realization that the PHEV route is quite preferable for the reasons you mention and many more.
Recent news on EV production and focus are not healthy for that niche sector with the exception of Tesla. Looks like Ford, GM, Toyota,and others are considering the suspension of EV development for now. The rumored 1,000HP Challenger would be a cool piece that I hope survives and makes it to market as it would make a really fun 3rd or 4th vehicle especially in areas where it could be used 12 months a year.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #4
Northeastern101
Private
Rep
Drives: XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
It would appear that many others who have interest in EV/PHEVs have come to realization that the PHEV route is quite preferable for the reasons you mention and many more.
Recent news on EV production and focus are not healthy for that niche sector with the exception of Tesla. Looks like Ford, GM, Toyota,and others are considering the suspension of EV development for now. The rumored 1,000HP Challenger would be a cool piece that I hope survives and makes it to market as it would make a really fun 3rd or 4th vehicle especially in areas where it could be used 12 months a year.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Interested to see if anybody made the move away from iX to the X5 and why?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Had driven iX over 2000 miles. Owns a 50e.

Want to dive deeper into driving dynamics. iX definitely feel quicker and you get more instant available power on highway.

I prefer the chasis set up in X5 - what I really love to do is at certain local road take a quick and sharp left/right turn (when condition allows). On X5 you can feel the rear tire slides just a little bit but the car controls it beautifully; on iX it feels a bit unsettled, performs very similar to an X3M40i.

On highway X5 feels much more stable and hides speed better; on the other hands iX feels more like a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #6
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern101 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response!

Interested to see if anybody made the move away from iX to the X5 and why?
Right now, the average time it takes to sell a BMW iX is 131 days. That’s the most of any car from any brand.
That may or may not help with your frame of reference here.
Obviously the iX is not popular. I've seen one on the road here in the Naples area but to be honest this is not EV country.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #7
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Right now, the average time it takes to sell a BMW iX is 131 days. That’s the most of any car from any brand.
Obviously the iX is not popular. I've seen one on the road here in the Naples area but to be honest this is not EV country.
I thought eqs were worse where I heard a Sacramento dealer had 200 piles on the lot at some time
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #8
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
I thought eqs were worse where I heard a Sacramento dealer had 200 piles on the lot at some time
It could very well be and would not surprise me at all. The article I quoted about the iX needing 131 days to clear the market is probably a month old now.
200 looking for a home at one dealer sounds really bad. If you can't move the Duracell stuff in CA they probably won't sell anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #9
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
The iX isn’t popular because of its design. No offence to the current owners, but it’s kind of hideous. In Vancouver, I’m seeing a lot of Q8 Etrons, EQE SUVs and EQS SUVs.
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska161.50
      11-05-2023, 06:50 PM   #10
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
The iX isn’t popular because of its design. No offence to the current owners, but it’s kind of hideous. In Vancouver, I’m seeing a lot of Q8 Etrons, EQE SUVs and EQS SUVs.
I think EQS day of supply is 200+ day in US. One is the highest in EV. There maybe more out there because MB started to get huge incentives much earlier than bmw did.

My understanding of the EV situation is people who still in market for EV want cheap EV. Those luxury $100k + all have hard time selling, especially after tesla reduce x price by 40%.
      11-05-2023, 07:15 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

ICE vs PHEV vs EV depends a lot on where you live and your normal routine, plus, if you have access to a second (or more!) vehicle. For many, a PHEV hits the sweet spot, as if the battery is large enough, daily running around can be done with electricity, but you have the flexibility to go anywhere while refilling the fuel tank. That's just not always possible with an EV.
Appreciate 3
Steve737106.00
WagonFan271.50
X3_Alaska161.50
      11-05-2023, 11:44 PM   #12
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
I think EQS day of supply is 200+ day in US. One is the highest in EV. There maybe more out there because MB started to get huge incentives much earlier than bmw did.

My understanding of the EV situation is people who still in market for EV want cheap EV. Those luxury $100k + all have hard time selling, especially after tesla reduce x price by 40%.
Wow, that's an long wait for the EQS When we got our Model Y, we only had to wait 3 weeks (got it just this month). We also received a $9k rebate from Canadian federal/provincial rebates. It was too good of a deal to pass on!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 12:12 AM   #13
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
Wow, that's an long wait for the EQS When we got our Model Y, we only had to wait 3 weeks (got it just this month). We also received a $9k rebate from Canadian federal/provincial rebates. It was too good of a deal to pass on!
Not sure if you are joking, but that 200 days inventory level means there is enough car on the lot that worth 200 days of sale number.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2088.00
      11-06-2023, 12:55 AM   #14
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

yes, what @alanzyy said. If MB doesn't make EQS anymore, with current sell rate, it will take 200+ day to see all existing cars. Typical healthy day of supply is about 60 - 90
      11-06-2023, 11:19 AM   #15
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I just switched from the iX to the 50e. Owned the ix for 6 months. Had owned many X5s including the 45e.

I can sure give a detailed impression of the two, but I'll stick to main items and happy to answer any questions. Also these are my opinions and obviously others have different experiences.

The iX is a very good car/SUV. It felt more car to me in a mostly good way. The acceleration is insane, ride is comfortable, and seats are comfortable (with one exception). The iX always felt like BMW tried a zillion new concepts in one car and it never felt totally like a BMW. But I loved the open roof, A/C, instant climate on when entering the car and a few other things.

My issues with the iX are an incredibly stupid headrest design, very loose steering, and strange decisions on buttons for the steering wheel and seats (part of this is an iDrive 8 issues).

The elephant in the room is the rapid depreciation of the iX along with it being a bit of an orphan in the BMW line-up. I think we will see an iX3 and iX5 sometime and this more experimental design will end.

BMW put the charge port in a strange place, opposite of Tesla. The current charging network sucks and even in 2025 when BMW/Tesla partner, the charging port requires to spots to be taken in most Tesla charging stations (unless they lengthen the cable).

You take a 30% winter hit with the iX for range (like all EVs) but the usable range isn't close to something like the 50e obviously.

The 50e is just more substantial. Handles better, higher quality seats, and a better put together interior. It is slower than the iX, but still plenty quick. The hybrid nature is the best of both worlds for now as EV charging gets figured out. If you take road trips, the 50e is really the only reasonable choice today. If you just commute around town, both work fine but the 50e electric range is long enough for me.

I thought I would miss the iX since it was a hoot to drive. But I do not. The design of the iX wore on me as did the charging network issues.
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2023, 08:07 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Charging network is a big issue for many parts of the country. BMW has said their EVs will start to get the NACS (Tesla) connector starting in 2025, so that may help. The increased numbers of vehicles that will be able to use the Tesla Supercharger network may then become a drag on Teslas, as they'd have to compete with many more vehicles when they want to charge.

It will take at least another year or two before the interstate EV charging networks are achieved that promises EV charging at least every 50-miles along US interstates. Still, if you're not on one of those, it can be problematic, which is why I bought the PHEV. Most of my driving can be electric, but no issues on a longer trip.
Appreciate 0