11-30-2023, 10:18 AM   #353
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelate View Post
At some point this morning I saw the on-screen notice that an update was ready or in progress or something. When I arrived home after work the prompt came up, waiting for me to press a button to proceed with the install, but I have to leave the car with a condo valet here so I didn't think that would be a great idea when the guy is about to hop in the car and park it below. My phone now shows 07/2023.67 ready for install. Would it make sense for me to start the install when I arrive at work tomorrow and leave the car parked while it does its thing, or do I have to babysit the process? I presume the install is not meant to be begun when I'm about to start driving....
Do it ASAP, the option to install the update could disappear and you will never be able to install it again.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 08:56 PM   #354
pixelate
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
Do it ASAP, the option to install the update could disappear and you will never be able to install it again.
Not sure if you are serious or just joking about the update disappearing forever...! But anyway, I did it when I parked the car myself like a normal human last night. It said it needed 20 minutes to let the car cool down, and would then install and leave the car out of commission for 20 minutes, so I OK'd it to proceed and left. This morning I walked to the car and hoped it would unlock and start... and it did. No issues. I like the new modern font on the gauge cluster -- looks like the "M60i" badge font. Will have to get used to the new A/C controls but they look promising. It seemed to remember the morning trip's drive mode when I got in the car this afternoon, which is a nice little improvement.
2008 BMW X5 xDrive48i mineral green
1972 BMW 2002 agave green
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:11 AM   #355
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelate View Post
Not sure if you are serious or just joking about the update disappearing forever...! But anyway, I did it when I parked the car myself like a normal human last night. It said it needed 20 minutes to let the car cool down, and would then install and leave the car out of commission for 20 minutes, so I OK'd it to proceed and left. This morning I walked to the car and hoped it would unlock and start... and it did. No issues. I like the new modern font on the gauge cluster -- looks like the "M60i" badge font. Will have to get used to the new A/C controls but they look promising. It seemed to remember the morning trip's drive mode when I got in the car this afternoon, which is a nice little improvement.
Hahaha, a little bit of both. But seriously in my former X5 '19, I got prompted once to update and I pressed later and... it never offered me to update again. I had to take it in.. Who knows why they do it like this. It looks like the update process has been improving (a little slow for my taste)..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2023, 02:59 AM   #356
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

More than one person on the forum has ignored the update, and after a time, the system said it was expired, and would not run the update.

BMW only lists some of the details of what changed...there could be numerous small bugs that get fixed that you don't see the details on. If you take the vehicle in for a problem, the service manager can query BMW, and if that fault is fixed by a certain s/w release, they'll authorize the dealership to update the vehicle, but otherwise, they don't get paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 07:59 AM   #357
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherniy_Bumer View Post
Yes, that was the case with me as well as mentioned earlier in the thread. I got updated to 07/2023.67 by my dealer this past Friday , but my app was still showing old iDrive8 version 03/2023.65. I ended up doing everything from scratch. I deleted BMW ID in the car and then re-added it. Had to set up my phone as the key again and go through all the initialization they had me do when I first sit down with the so called genius Then I also, as mentioned above, removed and re-installed and re-login into the app on my phone. And lastly, I also did hard reset of the iDrive by holding power/volume button for 30 seconds. After all of this, everything seems good now. First correct version is displayed on my bmw app. I see all the latest tiles/widgets that I was missing before. It also fixed icons for apple car play. These ones were showing up without an image until I did hard re-set. Hopefully all of this helps you.

Also, based on my previous threads, if you want the app and the car show your recommended tire pressure along with the actual ones, you need to run automatic tire recognition sequence that can only complete while you are driving. I did not know that and figured it out earlier today and now I see recommended tire pressure. I am pretty sure this is independent from iDrive version.
It didn’t work. I removed the car from the app, deleted the key from the iPhone, deleted the app, removed the Bluetooth connection, reset Idrive and then reinstalled everything. Still showing a mismatch between the software version in the car and in the app.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #358
Cherniy_Bumer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin58 View Post
It didn’t work. I removed the car from the app, deleted the key from the iPhone, deleted the app, removed the Bluetooth connection, reset Idrive and then reinstalled everything. Still showing a mismatch between the software version in the car and in the app.
Hmm. Maybe try to reset iDrive one more time and log out from my bmw app and log back in? This sucks, I am sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:01 PM   #359
tacosavage
Rep
Drives: X5 2024 50e

Ive received the generic message that an update is imminent and that was 7 days ago. How long did you guys wait till an actual update file was available to download?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 05:55 PM   #360
Yardie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M60i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just received Software Upgrade 23-07 for my 2024 X6M60. It was downloaded and installed without issues in 20 mins. Now I’ll have to make time to familiarize myself with the changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 08:32 PM   #361
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

What I can’t figure out is how do you switch audio sources if you are in CarPlay… like if I want to switch over to AM/FM for the traffic report. I don’t see any source switch setting in 8.5.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #362
roamio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

I received and installed it. All went smoothly - no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:03 AM   #363
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
What I can’t figure out is how do you switch audio sources if you are in CarPlay… like if I want to switch over to AM/FM for the traffic report. I don’t see any source switch setting in 8.5.
Carplay takes over the interface, so since FM radio is a vehicle thing, if it's not implemented by Apple in their Carplay system, it's not available...what you might have to do is exit Carplay, then it should be an option. Don't know for sure, mine can't run 8.5.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:23 PM   #364
dan_genius
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

My X5 is stuck on "preparing upgrade" at 79% when trying to update to 07/2023.67. Won't ever get past that. Must be a bug somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #365
traron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 Msport S40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_genius View Post
My X5 is stuck on "preparing upgrade" at 79% when trying to update to 07/2023.67. Won't ever get past that. Must be a bug somewhere.
My car was stuck at 22% so I just used the app and it was flawless. The update was done in 20 minutes and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 05:42 PM   #366
blinsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
If you are in CarPlay or AA, you can click the Apps button (four squares next to the Home button) and then select the source app (FM Radio, AM Radio, SiriusXM). You can also long-press the app there and add it to the shortcut menu (pull-down swipe from the top).
Appreciate 1
Giggler408.00
      12-05-2023, 12:21 AM   #367
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Carplay takes over the interface, so since FM radio is a vehicle thing, if it's not implemented by Apple in their Carplay system, it's not available...what you might have to do is exit Carplay, then it should be an option. Don't know for sure, mine can't run 8.5.
I found a way to change audio sources through the HUD and steering wheel controls, works okay.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 12:26 AM   #368
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinsc View Post
If you are in CarPlay or AA, you can click the Apps button (four squares next to the Home button) and then select the source app (FM Radio, AM Radio, SiriusXM). You can also long-press the app there and add it to the shortcut menu (pull-down swipe from the top).
That’s funny because before posting my question, I actually went to the apps menu but got annoyed by the distraction of trying to find a radio app that I gave up. Will have to try harder next time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 02:35 PM   #369
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I did the update today and it was a success! I love the new layout and the new climate control. No issues so far. Its much better than 8.0 and no android auto cut out like it was doing with the 8.0.

I recommend keeping the car outside and not inside garage etc when doing updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 04:39 PM   #370
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
Not true whatsoever. It will time out if not istalled but a simple check for an OTA in the car will indeed start the process over. In general that comes into play when the OTA fails to install as the boot loader for it does not kick in.

Lived it more than once including the boot loader stating my hazard lights were in play. LOL as have never even engaged them once. Every time I just have my dealer upgrade to the latest release. BMW can't punch their way out of a paper bag in the digital world.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:25 AM   #371
tacosavage
Rep
Drives: X5 2024 50e

its been 3 weeks since i received the OTA incoming 8.5 update notification on the bmw ios app and the update still hasnt been pushed out to my vehicle.

bmw is so behind tesla with the way they handle updates, its leagues apart
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 09:07 AM   #372
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosavage View Post
its been 3 weeks since i received the OTA incoming 8.5 update notification on the bmw ios app and the update still hasnt been pushed out to my vehicle.

bmw is so behind tesla with the way they handle updates, its leagues apart
Not just Tesla. Every other car maker... except probably Infiniti.. they are the bottom two.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 03:38 PM   #373
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
I did the update (7/2023.67) a couple weeks ago and about a week and half ago the center display (route preview, AR, media, etc.) just goes away after driving some. It'll come back on after parking and restarting, but I don't have time for that. Anyone else experiencing/ed the same? Will the more recent version fix that?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 03:55 PM   #374
oh-robot-nyc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive50e

I got the update notification three weeks ago and when I got in my car tonight and started it, my phone got an alert that the update was ready to download.

I received version 07/2023.67 via OTA. Took about 25 min to install on my 2024 X5 50e. There was a small CarPlay audio glitch (couldn’t hear audio but screen indicated it was playing). Turned car off and back on and CarPlay was fine.

Still getting used to the widgets all on the left and huge open screen space on the right. But otherwise no issues.
Appreciate 0