BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2024, 06:37 AM   #23
Natemare13
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 XDrive40i LCI

I spent way too much money trying every popular mat on the market. Tux mat, 3D, weather tech and BMW OEM liners. If you have the cash I would buy all of them and plan to return what you don’t keep because there is no way to perfectly pick unless you see them side by side INSTALLED. You have to decide coverage vs look vs cleanability. There wasn’t a single mat that was perfect across these categories.

Here is what I found:

By far the most OEM looking solution are the BMW floor liners. They don’t provide the same level of protection as any other option but they do provide more protection that the OEM all weather mats.

The Tux Mats felt great but hard to take out and clean. They also looked furthest from OEM but still a top 4 in terms of quality look. They covered/protected the most area and did so looking better than piecing together aftermarket covers for the sides of footwells. They covered so well that I am using tux mats in the rear where my kids sit. I simply put OEM all weather mats over them in the foot well area. Could not pull this off in the front because the tux mats are fairly thick and when you put another mat over it it’s very clear you are stacking mats. Whereas the rear did not have this problem at all. The tux mats in the front are just a bit too much and you see a lot of Mat everywhere which I didn’t like.

3D were a little more simplistic which fits nicely into the streamlined cabin. Good coverage but not as good as Tux (nothing was as good as Tux in the pure coverage department). 3D were also much easier to remove to clean. However they were a bit too dull in color and the 3D logo was such an eye sore. Very hard to remove that logo without major risk. I also didn’t like that they did not cover the hump in the back. Finally they have a fairly rigid design. Which was fine but the ridge of the mat left a small gap between it and the surrounding surface of the car. Super small but still there. I could see stepping or crushing that edge by accident over time. I have to stress this gap is not a deal breaker. It’s so small. The deciding factor for me was the dull appearance of the Matt compared to the interior, the fact that they didn’t cover the rear hump and the darn 3D logo.

The weather tech was by far my favorite in fit and function BUT looked too utilitarian. Also was not a candidate for “stacking” OEM all weathers on top. I think for many people the weather techs look will be acceptable they really blend in and don’t jump out at you but they also don’t add anything to the interior like the tux or OEM do regarding style. If you need a mat for utility purposes in the winter and just want the best chance of keeping the interior clean and a mat that cleans up easy - weather tech hands down. I recommend the newer style which is a heavier more rubber like floor liner. A bit more flex and deeper color. Looked way better than the original weather tech floor liner color.

In the end I decided OEM floor liners upfront and tux in the back (with OEM all weather mats ontop which make the front and back look consistent). Weathertech took the win for the trunk. I know this sounds silly but this combo gave the best coverage in the right areas, looked the best in those areas etc. The OEM foot liners cover ok but keep the look like I’m getting into a BMW way better than the others. Since I drive the car I am more careful up front. Don’t get me wrong the coverage and function are much better than all weather mats. But the tux, 3D, and weather tech do cover more. The rear tux mats helped me cover under the foot well, up the side of the rear seat (back of leg area) and up the door sill. So far just some detail spray and they wipe up really nicely. I would not want to have to remove the mat to clean it. Vac and wipe so far has been enough.

As for returning these things. KEEP THE BOXES

- weather tech was the easiest. No questions asked. They just wanted to make sure i didn’t crease the mats putting them back in.

- tux (front set) made me cut them up (destroy them) and send them a photo for proof.

- 3D originally didn’t want to give me my money back for return until I said “I didn’t like the way they look”. Originally I just asked to exercise the return policy. No big deal but was taken back by their initial hesitancy.

These are my opinions and reflect a combination of my perceived needs as well as subjective taste. I don’t think any of these mats are bad. In fact I think these are probably the only mats to consider if quality and best look for function is what you are after. If money was a priority I would pick the cheaper of the sets and never look back. If the car was given to me and had any of these sets, I wouldn’t feel compelled to research other options. If OEM fit and finish if your priority there is only one choice (OEM)

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 4
omasou2093.00
typedcl27.00
bubbajk50.00
      05-12-2024, 09:03 AM   #24
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natemare13 View Post
3D were a little more simplistic which fits nicely into the streamlined cabin. I also didn’t like that they did not cover the hump in the back.
Strange you say they don't cover the back hump, I went with 3D Kagu and they cover the hump in the back and the logo on mine came tinted so less noticeable, very happy customer:

Appreciate 1
LDT1620.50
      05-12-2024, 03:19 PM   #25
mhmmX5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i

TuxMats are awesome. Fit like a glove in the g05
Appreciate 0