nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanc View Post
I never carry a fob and use my phone as a key. An issue to be aware of is that if you close the door and it doesn't fully close, the phone won't unlock it (I have the car set to lock after a short time), even if you go into the app and press unlock. The only way to unlock the vehicle if you don't have a fob handy is to push the door so it is fully closed, then the phone will unlock it.
i don’t think you understand that feature is designed to only work the following way:

vehicle must already be in a locked state.
you press unlock but get sidetracked/distracted.
after ~7 minutes, the vehicle automatically re-locks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 03:59 PM   #24
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Did the car not unlock as you approached it (before opening the boot)?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 04:33 PM   #25
dmanc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 50e

I understand how it works. I also have lock when waking away turned on. It actually locks within seconds when you walk away. What I was trying to explain is that if you exit and the door doesn't close all the way it will lock but the phone can't unlock it. You have to use a fob or push the door so that it is fully closed. I thought that would be useful info for others who don't carry a fob.

Last edited by dmanc; 04-27-2024 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
matowi305.50
      04-27-2024, 04:43 PM   #26
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I understand how it works. I also have lock when waking away turned on. It actually locks within seconds when you walk away. What I was trying to explain is that if you exit and the door doesn't close all the way it will lock but the phone can't unlock it. You have to use a fob or push the door so that it is fully closed. I thought that would be useful info for others who don't carry a fob.
There are so many stories out there like this, giving a heads up never hurts. With wireless technology being so, well, flakey, whether is bluetooth, WiFi, cellular, Near Field, whatever, it just makes sense to carry the key fob plus a second line of defense against these unintended circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 05:43 PM   #27
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

From the g05 owners manual:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 3
Rob_G771159.00
Ianw0.00
      04-27-2024, 06:01 PM   #28
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Did the car not unlock as you approached it (before opening the boot)?
"unlock when approaching vehicle" isn't enabled by everyone
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:27 PM   #29
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
I never carry a fob and use my phone as a key. An issue to be aware of is that if you close the door and it doesn't fully close, the phone won't unlock it (I have the car set to lock after a short time), even if you go into the app and press unlock. The only way to unlock the vehicle if you don't have a fob handy is to push the door so it is fully closed, then the phone will unlock it.
Soft close doors resolve that problem 😉
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:00 AM   #30
newbmwian
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Infiniti QX60, 2015 Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
From the g05 owners manual:
Wow perfect post. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #31
BMWPenPen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. Exactly what happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:59 AM   #32
Shovelhead75
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

Interesting thread. I got locked out the other day at the hardware store. Left my iPhone on the tailgate while loading the hatch. Hit the hatch button to close it and saw the phone sliding into the cargo area but couldn’t grab it. Car was locked up totally.
Called my wife to come fetch me and while waiting I looked at my iwatch and lo and behold was mybmw !
Thanks to the thread I now know other ways to get it open if I do this again lol !
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 07:49 PM   #33
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintexas View Post
Soft close doors resolve that problem ��
I've never had a vehicle with soft close doors till my X5M. They are one of the most enjoyable things I enjoy about this car. Problem is when I get into some other car without the feature, I always forget that I have to slam the door to close it properly.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2024, 08:31 PM   #34
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
iWatch works great for avoiding this scenario.
This! Use your watch to unlock/ lock
Appreciate 1
matowi305.50
      04-30-2024, 12:47 AM   #35
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Maybe I’m old school, but one of the reasons I carry a fob is mechanical unlocking ability…..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 01:41 AM   #36
jotoms
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianw View Post
My BMW X5 50e 2024 was locked and I approached the vehicle. Opened boot with foot. Put golf bag in boot with car key and phone in the golf bag. Pressed the boot closure and the boot locked. Could not open vehicle as key and phone in Car. Had numerous vehicles with keyless entry and none of them would lock when the key was in the vehicle….only had the car 4 weeks from new.
Had to get home by cab and get spare. Fortunately was only 20 minutes from home. Could have been a nightmare if on weekend away.
Called BMW and they told me they have never experienced this before ? Anyone else had the same problem?
My X5 didn’t even come with boots, is that some fancy option??

I second the Apple Watch point - so convenient. I often leave key and phone at home for short errands, especially with the new digital key+. Can get a nice renewed Apple Watch for $200-300.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:33 AM   #37
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotoms View Post

I second the Apple Watch point - so convenient. I often leave key and phone at home for short errands, especially with the new digital key+. Can get a nice renewed Apple Watch for $200-300.
i can't tell if you're serious about the "boots" question. "boot" is the term often used in the EU for the trunk/cargo area
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:34 AM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotoms View Post

i can't tell if you're serious about the boots question. boot is the term often used in the EU for the trunk/cargo area

likewise, they use the term bonnet for the front hood
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:18 AM   #39
Kgerry59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5

hasn't happened to me yet, but a friend of mine tossed his golf bag in the back of his jeep last season and closed the tailgate and was locked out of the vehicle. I had to call CAA to get them to unlock it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:06 PM   #40
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
Maybe I’m old school, but one of the reasons I carry a fob is mechanical unlocking ability…..
I think you missed the point. The OP had the fob in his golf bag, put into the trunk, closed it and was locked out with the fob inside the car.

An Apple Watch you have on your wrist indeed could help.

Of course old school mechanical as a hammer or rock to smash the window might work as well 😉
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:40 PM   #41
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

Had my car running yesterday. Key was in the cup holder area. Went out to put stuffs into the trunk probably* accidentally pushed the close and lock. I got locked out. Used the app to open the door but it said I can't because the actual key is inside which is extremely stupid.

Good thing I was home so went and grabbed the spare key and was able to unlock with it. Then it kept on honking as if the engine was running and you walked away with the key, even when the primary key was still in the cup holder. I shut the car off, locked it with the primary key and restarted the car for it to stop.

Honestly, I've noticed a few stupid designs BMW made for the car. All my previous BMW knows exactly where the key is. The new 24 X5 can't. They removed keyless access for rear doors as well. OTA updates is borderline stupid. Not a single time my car've been updated that I have no issue. As of now, my remote start from the key and the app is completely nonoperational.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:13 PM   #42
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
... As of now, my remote start from the key and the app is completely nonoperational.
did you re-enable Remote Start after the software update? because it tends to turn off during an update (there’s a disclaimer about this in the release notes)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 02:30 AM   #43
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post
I think you missed the point. The OP had the fob in his golf bag, put into the trunk, closed it and was locked out with the fob inside the car.

An Apple Watch you have on your wrist indeed could help.

Of course old school mechanical as a hammer or rock to smash the window might work as well 😉
Fob in a golf bag? Ok, I’m old but something’s belong on your body: keys, wallet, cash, flashlight, pocket knife. I don’t get putting it in a bag - and I spent 15 years carrying a camera bag every day. Like I said, old….. :-)
Appreciate 1
matowi305.50
      05-01-2024, 04:56 AM   #44
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
Fob in a golf bag? Ok, I’m old but something’s belong on your body: keys, wallet, cash, flashlight, pocket knife. I don’t get putting it in a bag - and I spent 15 years carrying a camera bag every day. Like I said, old….. :-)
I’m old too, but when I go bowling, keys and wallet go in the bag. can’t have that bulk get in the way of the arm swing and hip bends, but I’m good with taking them out the bag when I’m done bowling
Appreciate 0