BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2024, 04:53 AM   #1
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Auto Hold

Is there a way to Turn ON/OFF Auto Hold for each driver profile?

I keep AUTO H ON all the time.

Other drivers keep switching it OFF, and it's fking annoying.

Is there any option to keep it ON per profile?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 05:42 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
Is there a way to Turn ON/OFF Auto Hold for each driver profile?

I keep AUTO H ON all the time.

Other drivers keep switching it OFF, and it's fking annoying.

Is there any option to keep it ON per profile?
nope
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2024, 01:08 PM   #3
matowi
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [10.00]
just switch it off... Anyway, what's your use case for A/H? Personally, I find it totally useless in connection with an automatic gearbox. It's another matter in a manual, when you do the dreaded up-hill starts or reversing...

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I personally rarely use it because I stop several times when reverse-parking in my garage. Auto Hold engages the brake during this maneuver, and I don’t like using the accelerator to overcome the hold in such a tight space

I’ll use it maybe if I’m annoyed in stop and go traffic that doesn’t meet the Extended Traffic Jam feature

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-13-2024 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Never found any use for it in my day-to-day driving situations prior to COVID...it did come in handy in the mandatory and cursory drive thru/drive-up situations that took long periods of idling to get many essential services. I also combined it with ASS...which is another feature I have turned off 99.9% of the time.

I'm so glad that's over!

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:51 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

For over a decade, I’ve used auto hold. It’s nice not having to hold the brakes while stopped. It also keeps the thing from creeping forward, or sliding backwards if the slope is steep. If you have a very light touch, it’s not hard to keep it on when trying to carefully position the thing in the garage…I’ve been using it for that whole time without incident. I have a bump stop I use to help ensure it gets stopped at the same point into the garage each time, and it takes being slow and careful to get that.

Now, on one of my vehicles, the auto hold was a bit grabby, but I was able to get that adjusted by the dealer under warranty.

As far as I have found, while some stuff is tied to a profile, I’m not sure auto hold is.

When someone else drives the vehicle, are they using their own key fob or profile, or are you sharing keys?
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 03:53 PM   #7
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matowi View Post
just switch it off... Anyway, what's your use case for A/H? Personally, I find it totally useless in connection with an automatic gearbox. It's another matter in a manual, when you do the dreaded up-hill starts or reversing...
I, on the other hand, use auto hold all the time. Auto hold does not apply the brakes until the vehicle comes to a full stop, so it shouldn't interfere with crawl feature (in fact I crawl frequently with auto hold enabled). I find it very convenient at traffic lights and stops to not have to keep pressing the brakes.

I think ultimately it boils down to what one gets habituated to or is comfortable using - no right or wrong answer here
Appreciate 3
matowi330.50
      05-13-2024, 05:35 PM   #8
HappyDance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24’ X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I, on the other hand, use auto hold all the time. Auto hold does not apply the brakes until the vehicle comes to a full stop, so it shouldn't interfere with crawl feature (in fact I crawl frequently with auto hold enabled). I find it very convenient at traffic lights and stops to not have to keep pressing the brakes.

I think ultimately it boils down to what one gets habituated to or is comfortable using - no right or wrong answer here
Same here... I keep it on by default. I've been using it for so many years, I can't imagine waiting at a stop light with my foot planted on the brake. I have a Lexus with Auto Hold and it resets to off every time you turn off the car and sometimes it catches me by surprise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 05:49 PM   #9
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I only find it useful in manual transmission vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:14 PM   #10
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

I had an excruciatingly painful injury to my right foot last month. Loved the Auto-Hold feature, because holding the brake pedal at long lights was really painful. Also made quite liberal use of the cruise control and traffic jam assist. Helped me get through a really rough week. Borrowed it from my wife because it was the easiest for me to drive vs. our other cars.

I'm not sure why you can't disable Auto-Hold while your foot is already on the brake, though. You MUST tap the accelerator to get it going, and then you can disable the Auto-Hold, which is really annoying if its happen to set in slow speed parking maneuvers. As I recall, in our E70 you could disable it whenever you wanted to.
      05-13-2024, 09:39 PM   #11
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I had an excruciatingly painful injury to my right foot last month. Loved the Auto-Hold feature, because holding the brake pedal at long lights was really painful. Also made quite liberal use of the cruise control and traffic jam assist. Helped me get through a really rough week. Borrowed it from my wife because it was the easiest for me to drive vs. our other cars.

I'm not sure why you can't disable Auto-Hold while your foot is already on the brake, though. You MUST tap the accelerator to get it going, and then you can disable the Auto-Hold, which is really annoying if its happen to set in slow speed parking maneuvers. As I recall, in our E70 you could disable it whenever you wanted to.
I don't have to be moving to disable Auto-Hold. Come to a complete stop, foot still on brake, press the Auto-Hold and it turns off.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 10:12 PM   #12
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Good discussion.

I've been using AH since I got first X5 back in 2013. Got used to this feature. Light, medium, freeway, city traffic, doesn't matter. I can't stop/go with foot on the brake. The moment I stop, I lift off my foot and just relax even for 1 sec

I guess I have to put a sticker on it. DON'T SWITCH IT OFF.....lol

Last edited by leasehackr; 05-14-2024 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:18 AM   #13
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I only find it useful in manual transmission vehicles.
I haven't driven a manual in over 20+ years - don't you have to depress the clutch when stopped nowadays?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:42 AM   #14
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
I haven't driven a manual in over 20+ years - don't you have to depress the clutch when stopped nowadays?
Yes you do, but I believe the auto hold uses the brakes to keep the car from rolling when the clutch is used and the car is on a hill.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:00 AM   #15
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Yes you do, but I believe the auto hold uses the brakes to keep the car from rolling when the clutch is used and the car is on a hill.
Exactly. It's especially helpful in turbocharged vehicles or other small displacement vehicle that don't have much torque off idle. The brakes auto hold it in place while you work the clutch and ga sto get moving. Without it you have to roll back a little, or use the handbrake.

Most of my manuals have been Corvettes with large V8s, and it wasn't a huge deal because a little bit of clutch release would hold them still. But I had a Subaru STI that was only a 2.5L, so it had no torque off idle. Luckily it had the auto hold feature and that was SUPER helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:09 AM   #16
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep

Ah, that makes sense but the feet (at least one foot) are still used (to hold the clutch) - with auto transmission, once can take both feet off (completely) until the accelerator is depressed to move forward - I have got used to this aspect.

Back in my days of manual there was no auto hold so it had to be either slight relief of clutch or brake (and/or handbrake) and one had to time release of both in conjunction when on steep incline.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #17
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense but the feet (at least one foot) are still used (to hold the clutch) - with auto transmission, once can take both feet off (completely) until the accelerator is depressed to move forward - I have got used to this aspect.

Back in my days of manual there was no auto hold so it had to be either slight relief of clutch or brake (and/or handbrake) and one had to time release of both in conjunction when on steep incline.
Yeah, that's how you do it if the car doesn't have auto hold. Super convenient to have it for that one situation.

It's pointless in an automatic IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:00 AM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, that's how you do it if the car doesn't have auto hold. Super convenient to have it for that one situation.

It's pointless in an automatic IMO.
i don’t use it, but the fact that Auto Hold is in millions of automatic vehicles across many manufacturers would say otherwise…
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:04 AM   #19
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i don’t use it, but the fact that Auto Hold is in millions of automatic vehicles across many manufacturers would say otherwise…
It's just cheap and easy to do, and it's a gizmo that could.impress someone.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:06 AM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I’m just saying just because one, a few, or several hundred don’t use it doesn’t make it a pointless feature
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:23 AM   #21
matowi
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Yep, that’s where the auto hold can be a great help (in up/downhill scenarios)

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #22
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would disagree with your earlier statement of this being a pointless feature - I use it all the time with automatic transmission. Could I live without it? Sure - would l like to live without it? No

One could make the same argument for manual vs auto transmission.
Appreciate 2