BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2024, 06:38 PM   #1
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Park Distance Control

Hi all, I've tried searching for this, but can't seem to find an answer. I have an X5 on order, and not getting the parking package. Does the pdc automatically turn on when approaching objects while going forward? It seems clear that it works that way when going in reverse, but I can't see that it happens automatically when going forward. Please tell me you don't have to push a button to turn it on first.

Also, when reversing out of a parking space, will the car stop itself it it senses an oncoming vehicle? I know it gives an audible warning.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:15 PM   #2
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

PDC automatically turns on when approaching obstacles going forward on my pre LCI so I assume it would too on the LCI

As for cross traffic, I think it has brake intervention too but I have never had the chance to trigger that. I have only triggered automatically braking with distance control when backing up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:29 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
1) yes, with varying results
2) it should, but many reports dictate BMW's implementation is mediocre compared to other brands
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:38 PM   #4
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
1) yes, with varying results
2) it should, but many reports dictate BMW's implementation is mediocre compared to other brands

Thanks. I'm more concerned with the forward PDC activation. I'm coming from an Audi Q5 and it worked flawlessly. I use it all the time when pulling into my garage. Hopefully the X5 is good enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:44 PM   #5
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I can tell you there is some automated braking for forward collision detection, but I couldn't tell you the specific circumstances under which it is triggered. I've had it trigger a couple times with phantom braking (where the system will just detect something where there is nothing and slam on the brakes, thankfully both times for me it was short and I had nobody behind me). I've never had it trigger on any actual obstacle.

All of BMW's automated assist systems are pretty bad from a software perspective, imho, but ymmv.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:51 PM   #6
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Thanks. I'm more concerned with the forward PDC activation. I'm coming from an Audi Q5 and it worked flawlessly. I use it all the time when pulling into my garage. Hopefully the X5 is good enough.
I just press the parking sensor button next to the gear shift instead of waiting for it to activate. I feel like it doesnt automatically activate until it senses something. This is just me, I like seeing it on the screen before it senses something. I do the same thing in parking lots. This is for an X3, which im assuming will be the same as the X5 im waiting on.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:23 PM   #7
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
BMW PDC auto activation works consistently well for the “pulling into garage” use case.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1119.50
      01-09-2024, 09:30 PM   #8
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
It works great and consistently all the time for my X5 and my X3 MC. Activates automatically and with plenty of time. I think the implementation is good - IMO.
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1119.50
      01-09-2024, 09:47 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i also owned 3 models of the Q7 prior to my X5 and will say Audi's PDC implementation is better/more sensitive automatic-wise. expect to modify your behavior regarding this and other behavior you may be used to coming from Audi. OTW, if you want it to behave like an Audi, you'll be frustrated. IOW, don't expect your X5 to behave like your Q5. learn the X5.

overall, i prefer BMW's tech. forward PDC works every morning as soon as i start my vehicle as i'm a bit 'tucked in' (i let my wife occupy the spot that can just pull straight out.)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-09-2024 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #10
DontGetPassedOnTheRight
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Forward PDC detection works well enough, but not flawlessly. At least on my pre-LCI, the forward cameras/sensors are meh and it doesn't always activate very early or early enough. My experience with the system does not involve home garages, though.

In any case, no system is perfect and no system should be relied upon, but PDC will definitely let you drive into a wall at low speeds. Or emergency brake when you're 5 inches away from a car when reversing, prompting you to disable it to be able to get out of a parallel parking spot...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:55 PM   #11
Boardmember
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Backing out of my garage (distractedly), I forgot my mother-in-law had parked behind me (in a driveway spot that was designed perfectly and doesn’t impede backing from garage) and I was just cruising in reverse and the damn car came to a jolting STOP. Thankfully. My experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:54 AM   #12
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

OP said he's NOT getting the parking package. Doesn't that severely limit the functionality?

Personally I can't fathom not spending $1200 on this package as it gives you far more cameras than base.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10790.50
      01-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
OP said he's NOT getting the parking package. Doesn't that severely limit the functionality?

Personally I can't fathom not spending $1200 on this package as it gives you far more cameras than base.
without the parking professional package, he’ll get PDC function with acoustics and color-coded distance indicators on the control display and a backup camera. no front camera or side mirror cameras, thus no 360° view
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 10:39 AM   #14
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post

Everyone has different needs. My driving is not all that complex. I can't fathom what benefit those cameras would have for me. I've never had a 360 camera before, have never wished I had it, and can't imagine what benefit I would have from getting it. So I passed on that package.

The pull forward/backward sensors cover my needs. I'm not sure what functionality you're talking about that is limited. If you mean not being able to see all around the car when in tight spaces, I believe you are correct, but I don't believe there is anything else as far as sensors are concerned.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 10:43 AM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
needs versus wants

my wife’s previous G30 had the parking professional package. when her lease was coming due and ordering a new G30, supply constraints deleted that package from being optioned. she misses the 360° view!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 10:49 AM   #16
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I personally find the PDC system to be way more useful than the cameras, but I wouldn’t want to skip the option. I actually prefer the simpler PDC system in my old E70–it had exactly the right amount of sensitivity.
      01-10-2024, 11:07 AM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I personally find the PDC system to be way more useful than the cameras, but I wouldn’t want to skip the option. I actually prefer the simpler PDC system in my old E70–it had exactly the right amount of sensitivity.
I guess it depends how one looks at it: does PDC augment the camera view or the other way around?

for me it’s neither as I still prefer old-fashioned neck-turning look and mirrors method then look to the PDC and cameras for additional guidance
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:21 AM   #18
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I guess it depends how one looks at it: does PDC augment the camera view or the other way around?

for me it’s neither as I still prefer old-fashioned neck-turning look and mirrors method then look to the PDC and cameras for additional guidance
Not sure but I think the combo results in the system trying to do too much. I regularly use angled parking up against a concrete wall, and every time I pull towards the wall, the PDC starts beeping, the camera display switches to the front corner 3D view, and the screen overlays all those colored boxes over the camera image.

Between the red boxes dancing around and the artifacts from the clumsy 3D modeling, it actually becomes impossible to even see the wall via the camera, which seems to defeat the whole point of either feature.

I’m sure I can deactivate all that stuff via a menu buried somewhere, but sometimes I might want the system on and I’m not going to fumble around switching it every time so I just live with it.

Oh, and the 3D thing? I cannot stress enough how much of a joke that is with all the distortion and contorted images it displays.
      01-10-2024, 11:25 AM   #19
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure but I think the combo results in the system trying to do too much. I regularly use angled parking up against a concrete wall, and every time I pull towards the wall, the PDC starts beeping, the camera display switches to the front corner 3D view, and the screen overlays all those colored boxes over the camera image.

Between the red boxes dancing around and the artifacts from the clumsy 3D modeling, it actually becomes impossible to even see the wall via the camera, which seems to defeat the whole point of either feature.

I’m sure I can deactivate all that stuff via a menu buried somewhere, but sometimes I might want the system on and I’m not going to fumble around switching it every time so I just live with it.

Oh, and the 3D thing? I cannot stress enough how much of a joke that is with all the distortion and contorted images it displays.
Speaking completely from inexperience of never having the 360 camera, I've always felt it was gimmicky unless you are frequently parking in very tight spaces. Maybe useful for someone in urban environments.

Don't get me wrong, just about all the packages and options have some level of gimmick to them (looking at you gesture control), but you have to assign the value to the gimmick. Having those cameras just wasn't worth it to me and my drives to the grocery store and back.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:03 PM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I don’t ever rely on the camera images for distance assessment nor would I recommend anyone else do so. I think that’s foolish.

I do believe they provide a “better” viewpoint given they’re closer to the level of the obstacle than my eyes
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 12:15 PM   #21
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don’t ever rely on the camera images for distance assessment nor would I recommend anyone else do so. I think that’s foolish.

I do believe they provide a “better” viewpoint given they’re closer to the level of the obstacle than my eyes
Why not, isn’t that what the camera is for?

My Raptor doesn’t have front PDC but does have a 360 camera system and the front camera is immensely useful for showing how far I can pull ahead before hitting something.
      01-10-2024, 12:25 PM   #22
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why not, isn’t that what the camera is for?

My Raptor doesn’t have front PDC but does have a 360 camera system and the front camera is immensely useful for showing how far I can pull ahead before hitting something.
due to the lag and scaling, i only use the camera views as reference. I don’t rely on them, hence Parking Assistant Package

it’s been mentioned many times in multiple posts where users start a thread complaining about how a system “failed” that they were too reliant on said system to do to the work for them. that’s not what they’re designed to do.
Appreciate 0