04-29-2023, 06:40 AM   #23
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
It’s funny how in the UK some measurements are metric (e. g. petrol when filling up, temperature) and some are imperial (e. g. length). We, in the US, are almost 100% imperial except for some liter soda/water bottles.
Yeah we're pretty inconsistent - petrol is sold by the litre, but we still measure efficiency in miles per gallon.

We measure most things in mm/cm/m but still measure distances in miles.

We sell food by weight in kg but a lot of us weigh ourselves in stones

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
As an Englishman, I support this

Tell me the temp in F and I have no idea whether to wear shorts and a T Shirt or a wooly jumper.
What timing, I'm watching Inside the Factory and shortly after reading this Cherry Healey was talking about mushrooms and said "looks like fibers from my wooly jumper". Nothing personal but would much rather watch her talk about her jumper.
      04-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #25
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What timing, I'm watching Inside the Factory and shortly after reading this Cherry Healey was talking about mushrooms and said "looks like fibers from my wooly jumper". Nothing personal but would much rather watch her talk about her jumper.
Fair

Wait, you get that show in the States? I didn't think it had that level of global appeal.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:43 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Fair

Wait, you get that show in the States? I didn't think it had that level of global appeal.
About 70% of all TV we watch is British. It is not available in the states but I have a source. 😏
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 06:57 PM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Update.

SA called, it is hardware issue. Cluster will have to be replaced. Part ETA is Wed. I will be using 530e for a few days. Hopefully this is a fluke, cannot image LCD reliability is this bad.

Another interesting thing. When I dropped 45e, it had very high SOC. I charged it full at work and drive 6 miles to dealer. Last night, I notice bmw app showed 0% “- - -“. I wondered why. I asked SA today, he said making battery to that SoC is part of the diagnosis needed for my car. There is a test mode to drain the battery at a safe rate. And once car is fixed, they will charge it back up. Interesting information.
Appreciate 6
typedcl27.00
admranger2998.00
viperdoc364.00
RickObe93.00
cellarrat519.50
      05-03-2023, 11:29 PM   #28
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Final update, should be

CA has done an excellent communication job. On Tue afternoon, he texted me said new instrument cluster arrived, will work on the car first thing on Wednesday morning (this morning). I replied “ thank you”

Today he is out of office. At about 2pm his coworker called and said car is ready. They open until 6pm. I can come today or tomorrow.

Picked up car at 5:45pm. Beside instrument cluster is working again, i notice a few things

1. Software is 03/2023.45. This is so much newer than what I was and many of us struggling, 11/2022.60. What’s up with OTA, BMW??

2. Many settings was lost. My guess is due to software update. No a big deal.

3. Paper work says oil change was done. But car still said I am 3k miles for 2 months from oil change. So either they did the oil change and forgot to reset computer. Or they didn’t do oil change at all. Without dip stick, there is no easy way to verify because there is no easy way to see the oil. Any suggestions from DIYer here? I don’t mind going in again in June, but if oil is new, I don’t see a reason to waste everyone’s time and do it again. I would much rather they give me the oil and filter, and I do it at home on weekend evening. Much easier.

4. They washed my car. Oh well not the end of the world, it is what it is.

Overall, very happen with CA and loaner situations. Just need to figure out if oil change was really done.
Appreciate 4
nZtiZia4751.00
typedcl27.00
      05-03-2023, 11:35 PM   #29
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Final update, should be

CA has done an excellent communication job. On Tue afternoon, he texted me said new instrument cluster arrived, will work on the car first thing on Wednesday morning (this morning). I replied “ thank you”

Today he is out of office. At about 2pm his coworker called and said car is ready. They open until 6pm. I can come today or tomorrow.

Picked up car at 5:45pm. Beside instrument cluster is working again, i notice a few things

1. Software is 03/2023.45. This is so much newer than what I was and many of us struggling, 11/2022.60. What’s up with OTA, BMW??

2. Many settings was lost. My guess is due to software update. No a big deal.

3. Paper work says oil change was done. But car still said I am 3k miles for 2 months from oil change. So either they did the oil change and forgot to reset computer. Or they didn’t do oil change at all. Without dip stick, there is no easy way to verify because there is no easy way to see the oil. Any suggestions from DIYer here? I don’t mind going in again in June, but if oil is new, I don’t see a reason to waste everyone’s time and do it again. I would much rather they give me the oil and filter, and I do it at home on weekend evening. Much easier.

4. They washed my car. Oh well not the end of the world, it is what it is.

Overall, very happen with CA and loaner situations. Just need to figure out if oil change was really done.
As far as #1 is concerned, it’s always been this way with BMW - OTA update versions lag behind what dealers have. As for #2, this is expected especially when dealers do updates over OBDII using ISTA.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2073.00
      05-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #30
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

For #3, I did a few things to confirm.
1. I called, SA, he said oil change should have been done. I should just come in for reset. Then i shared my one of my experience with him: my last bmw free maintenance was brake fluid change. Paper works said done, when I saw my car, I know wheels haven’t come off. And it turned out tech forgot to do. So SA said there is no easily way to verify the oil, he can schedule me for an oil service in June if I have doubt. Ok.

2. Last night I decide to check the oil and filter by opening oil filter housing. It is the only way I can think of to have access oil without draining oil. First, I found new oil drop under engine cover panel, good sight. Then oil filter and oil in housing look new. So yeah, oil change is done. Just someone didn’t reset computer. I will reset computer myself.

This actually means another thing. The myth of bmw computer monitors oil progress is definitely not true. I have about 4000 ice miles. If the computer is really that advanced and track the progression of oil quality, it should have reset the service indicator or at least push next service much later. And it didn’t.

Having that said, I do agree the computer can monitor a threshold, of oil condition meet certain criteria, it will flag for change, more of 0 or 1 detection. Not progression tracking capability
Appreciate 1
typedcl27.00
      05-09-2023, 01:37 PM   #31
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Instead of creating a new thread, let me keep updating the observation after this, what I would call "major" repair.

The car was repaired by deal on May 3rd. In trip computer, I can see the "individual" record was reset on May 3rd. Which is OK. For the "since factory" record, one would think this isn't resettable. There is no option to reset in iDrive itself. But when dealer updated the FW, they partially reset the "since factory" record. The total mileage driven is still intact, but the eDrive mileage was reset, and it is matching " individual" record, which is 76.7 miles only. The actual EDrive mile is supposed to be about 3000. I wonder if there is a way (dealer maybe) to restore the actual "since factory record". It kind of bother me that dealer can actually any part of the "since factory"

2nd observation is with the latest FW, the car always switch to hybrid mode when you lock the car, even the car was in Electric mode before that. I notice it because both wife and I set default drive mode to Electric individual with damper setup to sport, so ride height is at 2nd level. When we lock the car, it always go back to 3rd level. Then when we unlock, it goes back down to 2nd level. A lot of air suspension action has been observed since service. I wonder if there is a to fix this.
      05-09-2023, 05:44 PM   #32
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:

2nd observation is with the latest FW, the car always switch to hybrid mode when you lock the car, even the car was in Electric mode before that. I notice it because both wife and I set default drive mode to Electric individual with damper setup to sport, so ride height is at 2nd level. When we lock the car, it always go back to 3rd level. Then when we unlock, it goes back down to 2nd level. A lot of air suspension action has been observed since service. I wonder if there is a to fix this.
my dealer updated me to 11/2022, and I noticed the same, but I don’t think it’s because of the software version. I notice this behavior when I stray from the normal way i end my trip and exit the vehicle which I very rarely did on previous software versions.

if I forget to press the start/stop button to end my trip before exiting the vehicle, the suspension raises upon locking the vehicle. then upon unlocking the vehicle, the suspension lowers back to my default (Sport level on Electric Individual)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:00 PM   #33
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
my dealer updated me to 11/2022, and I noticed the same, but I don’t think it’s because of the software version. I notice this behavior when I stray from the normal way i end my trip and exit the vehicle which I very rarely did on previous software versions.

if I forget to press the start/stop button to end my trip before exiting the vehicle, the suspension raises upon locking the vehicle. then upon unlocking the vehicle, the suspension lowers back to my default (Sport level on Electric Individual)
Prior to dealer visit, I was on 11/2022.58. The suspension height is kind of erratis, I didn't have the exact same issue of what I am having now, which is 03/2023.45. The current behavior is very consistent and repeatable. All I do is unlock and lock, no driving or starting the car involved.

Test - using my key, my phone, and BMW key card to unlock, car get into "electric individual" OK. Suspension drop. When I unlock using the same method, I actually can see "Electric Individual" breafly turns to "Hybrid", then lock. Suspension rises.

I don't know whether this is related to 03/2023.45, or related to how dealer update the FW and did something to the car. I will keep monitoring.
      05-10-2023, 06:40 AM   #34
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Prior to dealer visit, I was on 11/2022.58. The suspension height is kind of erratis, I didn't have the exact same issue of what I am having now, which is 03/2023.45. The current behavior is very consistent and repeatable. All I do is unlock and lock, no driving or starting the car involved.

Test - using my key, my phone, and BMW key card to unlock, car get into "electric individual" OK. Suspension drop. When I unlock using the same method, I actually can see "Electric Individual" breafly turns to "Hybrid", then lock. Suspension rises.

I don't know whether this is related to 03/2023.45, or related to how dealer update the FW and did something to the car. I will keep monitoring.
another update to this behavior:

i rescind my previous reason blaming the behavior on ending the trip with the Start/Stop button. it appears related to exiting at a certain suspension level.

yesterday and this morning, i was able to consistently produce the results you mentioned. my default startup mode is Electric Individual set to Sport suspension. every time i didn't put my vehicle in Load level before exiting, it always rose to Normal level upon locking. sometimes though, it stayed there and didn't lower to Sport level upon unlocking. for us, this is a doubly worse level to enter the vehicle since we're used to entering in Load level.

conclusion: if i place the suspension in Load level before i exit, the vehicle doesn't rise in suspension upon locking.

still as you mentioned, it's likely related to the random switch to Hybrid drive mode "bug", but why does the vehicle's logic switch to Hybrid mode (and thus, Normal suspension level) when locking...only to go back to Electric Individual (and thus, Sport suspension level) upon unlocking?

very annoying suspension behavior indeed...

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-10-2023 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
eelnoraa2073.00
RickObe93.00
      05-10-2023, 03:39 PM   #35
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
This actually means another thing. The myth of bmw computer monitors oil progress is definitely not true. I have about 4000 ice miles. If the computer is really that advanced and track the progression of oil quality, it should have reset the service indicator or at least push next service much later. And it didn’t.
The computer may count engine cold starts, monitor trip lengths, engine and outside temperatures, driving style, speed etc. to tune the oil change interval. I think some cars have been doing this for a long time now. This has nothing to do with measuring the actual oil quality, of course. Just doing some educated guessing.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #36
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
The computer may count engine cold starts, monitor trip lengths, engine and outside temperatures, driving style, speed etc. to tune the oil change interval. I think some cars have been doing this for a long time now. This has nothing to do with measuring the actual oil quality, of course. Just doing some educated guessing.
The oil part I am 99% sure. From the last 20 years, 4 other BMWs, , the DIY/maintenance community knows very well how BMW track oil change interval. It is largely a function using gas consumption. You drive it hard, stop and go, lower MPG, more frequent (miles wise) oil change. Long highway drive, higher MPG, further between oil change. And than that 1 year time based interval. I just want to debunk some of the myth that BMW track oil quality and determine oil change interview. If anyone ever work on engine or even do their own oil change, they immediately know it doesn't work like that.

Further more, for 45e, it definitely doesn't work like that. people easily go for 1 year and don't have 1K ICE mile. 45e really just go by time and 10K total miles. If the car even know I have new oil, my mile to service should not be 3000 now.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 05-11-2023 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:32 PM   #37
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Another weird thing happened today. I think this has to do with the new FW. Suddenly, I have these service requirement

- Starter battery check up, request data on march 18 11:57am
- Urgent starter battery check up, request data on march 18 11:58am (one minutes after the above)
- brake check up, request data on march 18 11:58am

Yesterday, none of this showed up. And I don't remember ever seeing this in March, and obviously, starter battery and brake are working just fine. I will probably wait for a few day and see if these message will go away before giving dealer a call.
      05-11-2023, 06:49 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another weird thing happened today. I think this has to do with the new FW. Suddenly, I have these service requirement

- Starter battery check up, request data on march 18 11:57am
- Urgent starter battery check up, request data on march 18 11:58am (one minutes after the above)
- brake check up, request data on march 18 11:58am

Yesterday, none of this showed up. And I don't remember ever seeing this in March, and obviously, starter battery and brake are working just fine. I will probably wait for a few day and see if these message will go away before giving dealer a call.
not the firmware but likely a MyBMW app glitch. we’re all on different versions but getting the same app notifications. it just started today, and it’s happening around the world.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2016270

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3245...ibextid=W9rl1R
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2073.00
      05-11-2023, 08:08 PM   #39
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Aliens
X5M getting the same messages, high voltage system... oh my