BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #23
mrsammalik
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5m, x5 50e

Thanks for the responses guys, it answered my questions!

ahahaha no it wasn't a garage, so ive been the only driver since Ive had it and I live in a condo which has a massive roller door.

There is a fellow who has a ladder that sticks out the back of his truck which is enough of a distance from my stall that he could hit it while backing up.

It's just heart break, but I'll have to get it fixed and over with. Now the question is do I get the dent pulled out and touched up or do I get it done right, and keep in mind I have a 27month lease at which point I'll just get something else.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2059.50
      10-17-2023, 06:34 PM   #24
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

That's why I set my hatch to open at level 1/5. My garage is very low. Even at 2 I'd hit the garage door when opening. I have kick to open disabled and just deal with raising the door outside.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #25
mysore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsammalik View Post

ahahaha no it wasn't a garage, so ive been the only driver since Ive had it and I live in a condo which has a massive roller door.

There is a fellow who has a ladder that sticks out the back of his truck which is enough of a distance from my stall that he could hit it while backing up.

It's just heart break, but I'll have to get it fixed and over with. Now the question is do I get the dent pulled out and touched up or do I get it done right, and keep in mind I have a 27month lease at which point I'll just get something else.

Cheers!

Honestly it did occur to me that it could be something sticking out of another vehicle that could cause such a damage. Can you not confront your him? At the least he could acknowledge and maybe cover portion of the expense…
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:20 PM   #26
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340iPlease View Post
Make me #4 for people who have had this exact same damage happen on previous cars from the garage door arm. As I prepare for delivery of my 2024 I need to figure out a way to avoid this. I wish I had room for one of those openers that don't require a rail but the fitment won't work in my case. A think piece of foam insulation might be the best temporary solution.
Thank GOD I get the privilege of parking on Philly streets!!!! Y’all are just ….. 🤣
#firstWorldProblems (says the guy who is in the body shop for 3 weeks for a ‘minor’ , $13k, fender bender). 😀
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:32 PM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Thank GOD I get the privilege of parking on Philly streets!!!! Y’all are just ….. 🤣
#firstWorldProblems (says the guy who is in the body shop for 3 weeks for a ‘minor’ , $13k, fender bender). 😀
I think everyone here with a $80K car probably all are 1st world problem. LOL
      10-17-2023, 11:08 PM   #28
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The first time I pulled mine into my garage, I used the iDrive setting to change how high the tailgate opened as I wanted to be sure I could open it in the garage without hitting anything. Works great.
Yeah, I'd tried that, and with my garage ceiling, and my height, it just didn't work out! Wish it did.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 03:22 AM   #29
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Hey everyone, this is going to be my first post out here.

So here is my build:
X5 50e, Premium Excellence, M Sport, M sport Pro, Piano Black, Bowers Wilkins
Interior: Individual Ivory White
Exterior: Mineral White Metallic

Got it just shy of two weeks now, and 1500km, and absolutely love it!

Now for the bad part - Someone either reversed into me while i was parked or someone came and hit it. Now my bone to pick with bmw and im leaning on the expertise out here is, why wouldnt i get some app notification that my car has been hit? I have drive recorder on, and will have to look at some settings to make sure notifications etc are on. When i asked the dealership on why i wouldnt get a notification they said "we have only seen it tell drivers there was an issue when the car is involved in a major accident, as far as we know no vehicle tells you about situations like yours" which is wild because we all know how the tesla's report but also... why would i need an app to tell me ive been in a major accident i mean thats pretty obvious.
Is there a dent? I don't see it

The paint chip can easily be fixed, and you wont' know it was there.

Just get BMW touch-up paint. It comes with a Clear coat. $35 bucks.

You need 3000/5000 Grit 3M Auto Sandpaper. Need compound and Polish too.

There are so many YouTube video. you can fix this easily yourself.

Clean the mark with alcohol. Sand to make sure no dirt and it's all smooth. You have to fill the paint couple of times. Use toothpick. Don't use the brush. After every coat of the paint, sand with 3000 grit. Fill the paint again. Once at the level. Fill in with a clear coat, with toothpick. Sand again after drying with 3000/5000. now everything should be on the same level with existing paint.

Now finish with compound and follow up with polish.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 05:50 AM   #30
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Back into garage?
Not an option with our garage layout. One car has to pull in and the other back in in order to get out of the driver's door. And backing in would not allow for access to the tailgate once in the garage. I'll have to play with the height limit on the tailgate once I have it, but fear that might not be enough with our lowish ceiling.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:03 AM   #31
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340iPlease View Post
Not an option with our garage layout. One car has to pull in and the other back in in order to get out of the driver's door. And backing in would not allow for access to the tailgate once in the garage. I'll have to play with the height limit on the tailgate once I have it, but fear that might not be enough with our lowish ceiling.
You can adjust the open height to several different settings. Some are lower than the height of the roofline so ceiling clearance shouldn't be an issue. Mine is set one below max height to clear the end of the open 7' garage door (when open the end of the door is 1-2" below the 7 ' door frame.) You just have to learn to watch your head when loading/unloading as the hatch corners are significantly lower.
      10-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #32
Pabloh88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

You can Bowers in a 50e in Canada? I’m jealous, we can’t in the US. I wonder what would be involved in ordering one in Canada and registering it in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #33
JohnRoth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 40i M-Sport 2023 330i

Garage List
2020 BMW G05 X5  [9.00]
2020 BMW X5   [0.00]
Good thing it’s white, easiest color to touch up.
      10-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoth View Post
Good thing it’s white, easiest color to touch up.
The mineral white is not the same as the solid alpine white...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 06:47 AM   #35
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:

Cheers!
Wait till you go to Costco or BJ…….is heart break every time you walk out of there 😭

Believe it or not, dents on all 4 doors………….im going to try pull it myself (with tools) and see if it works or not.

One of the dent actually chipped the paint as well 😢
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0