BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
EjA614
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Oil Filter Stuck in Housing - BMW Service - Any recourse??

Long story short I brought a used 2021 X5 from a Land Rover dealer. Took it in for its first routine service (37,000 miles) ant an BMW service center and get a call that an aftermarket oil filter cap broke and is stuck in the housing. This is a known issue and the SIB calls for a housing replacement and they are charging me $3k. The service center claims they are following procedure and nothing they can do. I called BMW corporate and they rejected the warranty claim and good will citing the aftermarket filter.

I have seen a few other posts on this but asking if there is anything else I can do or am I just SOL. Seems insane to just take the mechanics word that they did nothing wrong? Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1448.50
      05-09-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

I had this experience on my first oil change after buying from the original owner. Around 45k miles, 2019 x5 40i. I pulled the old filter out in about 4 pieces. The bottom plastic piece stuck in the oil filter housing.

I was able to remove it using some picks. It took me about 30 minutes of fumbling with it before I was able to free it from the housing and work it out. My biggest concern was verifying that I had ALL the pieces of the filter once I got everything out.

You could ask them to try and do something similar for an hour or so before they call it quits and change the entire housing.

I suspect it’s simply a cheap filter issue. I’ve changed my oil/filter in my 540i with a B58 a dozen times using BMW filters with zero issues.
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2024, 09:30 PM   #3
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
I had this experience on my first oil change after buying from the original owner. Around 45k miles, 2019 x5 40i. I pulled the old filter out in about 4 pieces. The bottom plastic piece stuck in the oil filter housing.

I was able to remove it using some picks. It took me about 30 minutes of fumbling with it before I was able to free it from the housing and work it out. My biggest concern was verifying that I had ALL the pieces of the filter once I got everything out.

You could ask them to try and do something similar for an hour or so before they call it quits and change the entire housing.

I suspect it’s simply a cheap filter issue. I’ve changed my oil/filter in my 540i with a B58 a dozen times using BMW filters with zero issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EjA614 View Post
Long story short I brought a used 2021 X5 from a Land Rover dealer. Took it in for its first routine service (37,000 miles) ant an BMW service center and get a call that an aftermarket oil filter cap broke and is stuck in the housing. This is a known issue and the SIB calls for a housing replacement and they are charging me $3k. The service center claims they are following procedure and nothing they can do. I called BMW corporate and they rejected the warranty claim and good will citing the aftermarket filter.

I have seen a few other posts on this but asking if there is anything else I can do or am I just SOL. Seems insane to just take the mechanics word that they did nothing wrong? Any advice is appreciated.
The housing is available on FCP for around $300. Have someone else put it on?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 05:38 PM   #4
2heeldrive
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

How did this disaster turn out for you?
Appreciate 0