BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2024, 02:42 PM   #1
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Eeek, no more X5!

After 12 years of various models, I'm no longer a BMW daily driver (though I can use my SO's 440 any time!).

My lease was coming up and I wanted a hybrid that *didn't* break the bank but still had the power and creature comforts of my X5.

I assumed that didn't exist and was mentally telling myself the 200hp CR-V hybrid would still be fun to drive and treat me with more features than I really need. I think the CR-Vs look nice and though I don't love the interior design, it's acceptable.

But thanks to big data ad placement on social media, I found out about the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE. I ended up leasing one and sold the X5.

So far, I'm loving it as it has several options I didn't have on the X5.. Granted, I've got an airbag and SOS malfunction light on, but apparently there's a software update to address it.

I will say the dealership experience is absolute shit compared to BMW. I tried taking it in for service, with an appointment, for the aforementioned error and the guy said they would need 4-8 weeks to LOOK at it, and that I should drive back to where I got it (140 miles round trip).

I guess at the end of the day no one can escape software glitches on new vehicles. Will try a different dealer since there's a few around me.

I definitely miss the X5, it felt sportier than the GC (and things make more sense on it -- Jeep has 3 buttons to control one sunroof, and they all cancel each other's actions). But I'm enjoying rolling along in electric mode while my back is being massaged and the vehicle is doing start/stop & lane centering in SoCal traffic.

---
tl;dr got rid of X5 now have Jeep GC why am I even posting this since it's irrelevant now.
      04-17-2024, 03:11 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
After 12 years of various models, I'm no longer a BMW daily driver (though I can use my SO's 440 any time!).

My lease was coming up and I wanted a hybrid that *didn't* break the bank but still had the power and creature comforts of my X5.

I assumed that didn't exist and was mentally telling myself the 200hp CR-V hybrid would still be fun to drive and treat me with more features than I really need. I think the CR-Vs look nice and though I don't love the interior design, it's acceptable.

But thanks to big data ad placement on social media, I found out about the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE. I ended up leasing one and sold the X5.

So far, I'm loving it as it has several options I didn't have on the X5.. Granted, I've got an airbag and SOS malfunction light on, but apparently there's a software update to address it.

I will say the dealership experience is absolute shit compared to BMW. I tried taking it in for service, with an appointment, for the aforementioned error and the guy said they would need 4-8 weeks to LOOK at it, and that I should drive back to where I got it (140 miles round trip).

I guess at the end of the day no one can escape software glitches on new vehicles. Will try a different dealer since there's a few around me.

I definitely miss the X5, it felt sportier than the GC (and things make more sense on it -- Jeep has 3 buttons to control one sunroof, and they all cancel each other's actions). But I'm enjoying rolling along in electric mode while my back is being massaged and the vehicle is doing start/stop & lane centering in SoCal traffic.

---
tl;dr got rid of X5 now have Jeep GC why am I even posting this since it's irrelevant now.
The only real way to know what you've lost is to lose it.. .. You knew this before switching, right?

Attached Images

Appreciate 9
sigmabody185.00
cellarrat518.00
AGONXF30285.00
drexplode1789.00
volodp199.50
matowi301.00
CGG171.50
tooloud10789.00
      04-17-2024, 03:35 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The only real way to know what you've lost is to lose it.. .. You knew this before switching, right?

I didn't look at overall rankings, but I browsed various owner outlets (forums/reddit/etc) to understand what issues may exist. Hopefully I've got one of the good builds!
      04-17-2024, 04:37 PM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Never tried GC phev, but drove a wrangler rubicon 4xe for a month and a Sahara 4xe for another three weeks, both from Avis when my previous x3 was totaled and I was waiting for my 50e

Man, the hybrid drivetrain experience is so bad. Can barely make it to 0-80mph takes a decade and does not hold the speed when climbing up a bridge in electric mode. When battery is flat, the car is very loud and slow.

Worst part: both car had CEL on before I returned the car.

Hope you had better luck with GC 4xe than the wrangler one.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 04:43 PM   #5
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

I loved my GC. I bought it in 2014 and ran it to the ground. I never had any significant issues with it.

I bought it for 36k brand new and sold it for 14k with like 160k miles.

I didn’t replace tires until like 80k miles. You just can’t go wrong with it.

Yes it drives like shit and no where near the quality of a BMW but still great in every other way.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
timmahh484.00
      04-17-2024, 05:47 PM   #6
Sevn86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 sDrive40i Msport

I've had 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees.

1998 - first car drove to 138k miles problem free
2008 - drove to 256k miles problem free
2014 - sold within two month transmission shifting issues
2017 - drove to 38k miles with transmission shifting issues the dealership couldn't fix.

I personally don't think I'll own another again as the dealership experience sucks compared to a luxury brand.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2024, 05:51 PM   #7
SoftRoader
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i / Jeep GC4xe

Yikes!

I have a 2022 GC 4xe and I'm thinking about dumping it already for an X5. When the 4xe works, it's a great truck. Yes, the transmission is *not* smooth. Power delivery is *not* linear. The suspension is not as smooth. But it gets me and my kids to mountain bike races with our equipment. I'm getting roughly 28mpg between around town mostly electric and road trips of gasoline.

***...WHEN IT WORKS***. I've had it 19 months, and I've had to bring it in 8 times for 1 regular service, 3 warranty repairs (one of those took two trips), and 4 trips specifically for recalls (like wheels fall off sort of stuff otherwise I wouldn't bother). My time is worth something, and this car is racking up billable hours.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 06:34 PM   #8
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevn86 View Post

2017 - drove to 38k miles with transmission shifting issues the dealership couldn't fix.

I personally don't think I'll own another again as the dealership experience sucks compared to a luxury brand.
Definitely disappointed by the service department at the closest dealer. The guy made me go wait for other cars to move forward so I could move closer to the service driveway before he would read get the vehicle info. Then, even though it was in my fricking appointment I scheduled online, he asks what the problem is and didn't bother to read anything. There are 3 or 4 other Jeep dealers nearby so hoping someone is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftRoader View Post
Yikes!

I have a 2022 GC 4xe and I'm thinking about dumping it already for an X5. When the 4xe works, it's a great truck. Yes, the transmission is *not* smooth. Power delivery is *not* linear. The suspension is not as smooth. But it gets me and my kids to mountain bike races with our equipment. I'm getting roughly 28mpg between around town mostly electric and road trips of gasoline.

***...WHEN IT WORKS***. I've had it 19 months, and I've had to bring it in 8 times for 1 regular service, 3 warranty repairs (one of those took two trips), and 4 trips specifically for recalls (like wheels fall off sort of stuff otherwise I wouldn't bother). My time is worth something, and this car is racking up billable hours.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
Thanks -- That's kind of what I'm reading, for some it's great, others its a complete catastrophe.

I know every brand and model has their own issues (my X5 had to go in twice for the same issue where the belt was slipping and causing erroneous warning messages randomly when regenerative operations would kick in).
      04-17-2024, 06:36 PM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaz View Post
Never tried GC phev, but drove a wrangler rubicon 4xe for a month and a Sahara 4xe for another three weeks, both from Avis when my previous x3 was totaled and I was waiting for my 50e

Man, the hybrid drivetrain experience is so bad. Can barely make it to 0-80mph takes a decade and does not hold the speed when climbing up a bridge in electric mode. When battery is flat, the car is very loud and slow.

Worst part: both car had CEL on before I returned the car.

Hope you had better luck with GC 4xe than the wrangler one.
The 2.0 4 cylinder is .. vocal .. to say the least, but I have to say I'm not feeling like it's lacking in the speed department. That said, I am focusing more on staying in electric mode, so unlike light-to-light WOT, I'm going easy on it.
      04-17-2024, 06:47 PM   #10
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Well, good for you OP. For me, I do not have that dilema since ..I have both...X5 and JGC (SRT)...
Appreciate 1
timmahh484.00
      04-17-2024, 06:55 PM   #11
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Let's not pretend that the BMW experience is somehow stellar. I'm waiting 3 weeks at a time for service, and I have to go back because they didn't fix my issue the first time. And I paid a whole lot more for the BMW than I would have a Jeep.

I bought a 2012 GC overland back when I graduated college. It was a FAR nicer vehicle than the X5 or Range Rover of its time. Interior quality, features, design, reliability it was just better.

Good luck with your Grand Cherokee. If you survived BMW ownership jeep ownership will be a breeze.
Appreciate 3
timmahh484.00
matowi301.00
FatHulk127.50
      04-17-2024, 07:11 PM   #12
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:

The last two are funny, because these use ZF8HP. So I am not sure how one can be great in BMW and shit in Jeep. Maybe the tune. Also ZF does recommend fluid changes in these and most people do not do them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:12 PM   #13
Sevn86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 sDrive40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
The last two are funny, because these use ZF8HP. So I am not sure how one can be great in BMW and shit in Jeep. Maybe the tune. Also ZF does recommend fluid changes in these and most people do not do them.
I think it had more to do with mapping not the transmission itself. Very rough/noticeable shifts. I couldn’t stand it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:07 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I rented one recently, the 4xe. Every time it would switch from fuel to electric, the entire thing would shudder like it was about to fall apart. In my 45e, I can't even tell when one switches to the other.
Appreciate 1
SteVTEC244.50
      04-17-2024, 09:26 PM   #15
djohn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

What a great thread! I had a Grand Cherokee diesel, and really liked it for a while. But as an out of warranty car, it turned into a nightmare. Because it was a modern common rail diesel and I was mixing in plenty of city driving, I had emissions systems clogging up repeatedly, which was covered under a lawsuit warranty, but still very annoying. And then the stuff I went through at the end! I vividly remember sitting in one of the many horrible Stellantis dealerships in my city, as they told me my turbo actuator was shot and it would necessitate replacing the whole turbo and that basically my car had ceased to be. None of this was accurate. But as we were talking about what my next vehicle would be, I was like, what, go to PHEV? I brought up the 4xe. The Stellantis man said no, not a good idea, and that all their techs were running around trying to make the computers work in dead vehicles with perfectly good engines. On the other hand, maybe this is just what it's like to work in a dealership these days.

I have a good independent mechanic, now. They fixed the coolant leak I had in that engine for 4k less than the dealership quote. And my turbo was fine, it was an easy sensor replacement. Then I found an X5 with the off-road package, so I've got a locking rear diff in addition to air suspension on an overall better vehicle. Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:45 PM   #16
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:
I think it had more to do with mapping not the transmission itself. Very rough/noticeable shifts. I couldn’t stand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I rented one recently, the 4xe. Every time it would switch from fuel to electric, the entire thing would shudder like it was about to fall apart. In my 45e, I can't even tell when one switches to the other.

I understand that the FCA implementation of the 8HP uses a clutch in place of a torque converter. Brief video (skip to 2:25) has the detail:

They're both ZF designs but FCA has their own implementation of it. I.e., BMW could be using the "vanilla" 8HP while FCA may be using a custom kit (they're marketed as TorqueFlite 8xxRE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn View Post
What a great thread! I had a Grand Cherokee diesel, and really liked it for a while. But as an out of warranty car, it turned into a nightmare. Because it was a modern common rail diesel and I was mixing in plenty of city driving, I had emissions systems clogging up repeatedly, which was covered under a lawsuit warranty, but still very annoying. And then the stuff I went through at the end! I vividly remember sitting in one of the many horrible Stellantis dealerships in my city, as they told me my turbo actuator was shot and it would necessitate replacing the whole turbo and that basically my car had ceased to be. None of this was accurate. But as we were talking about what my next vehicle would be, I was like, what, go to PHEV? I brought up the 4xe. The Stellantis man said no, not a good idea, and that all their techs were running around trying to make the computers work in dead vehicles with perfectly good engines. On the other hand, maybe this is just what it's like to work in a dealership these days.

I have a good independent mechanic, now. They fixed the coolant leak I had in that engine for 4k less than the dealership quote. And my turbo was fine, it was an easy sensor replacement. Then I found an X5 with the off-road package, so I've got a locking rear diff in addition to air suspension on an overall better vehicle. Perfect.
I've been doing research on all of this and it seems like the JCE introduced a lot of changes on the electronics side. It's brand new "Atlantis" platform, and dealers are all required to buy new code readers, have those readers authorized to make changes to the vehicle, and have connectivity to download updates, diags, etc. from the cloud.

I've considered looking for a used one and just buying a 3 day subscription (if they'd even let me) and updating it all myself.
      04-17-2024, 09:47 PM   #17
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post

I definitely miss the X5, it felt sportier than the GC (and things make more sense on it — Jeep has 3 buttons to control one sunroof, and they all cancel each other's actions). But I'm enjoying rolling along in electric mode while my back is being massaged and the vehicle is doing start/stop & lane centering in SoCal traffic. [...]
I owned two Jeep GCs, one with the Hemi and one with the EcoDiesel. There were things I loved about both, and technology was excellent for the cost, but reliability was AWFUL and dealerships were mostly inept. My wife told me she'd divorce me if I bought another Jeep and I wasn't about to test her (I was about to but the GC 4xe SR). I bought an X5 45e instead and haven't looked back. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
djohn18.00
timmahh484.00
      04-17-2024, 10:32 PM   #18
BruinMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

Congratulations, I like to wish you the best with your Jeep GC.
I also had a couple and put some high mileage on them. I find they drive well and look good. My Overland had everything I needed in a SUV.
However, I will never go back to purchasing a Jeep and the reasons are the dealerships and their service departments. All scammers, lazy, greedy salesmen and service advisors.
I probably live in your area and all I can say is good luck with the dealerships.
DonKeedic180.50
      04-18-2024, 08:44 AM   #19
jayfeinst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Hate to pile on but I have a 21 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe and, while it has been trouble free in terms of general issues, it has had 5 recalls in 2 1/2 years. The dealers are TERRIBLE and I always have to pay for a rental as loaners are a foreign subject at a Jeep dealer. I put up with a lot because it's a Wrangler- unique and fun to drive. I'm not sure I'd be as tolerant for a generic SUV. Hope your experience is better!

One piece of advice, with any Jeep product, go replace the 12V battery asap and save yourself some headaches.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:57 AM   #20
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post

That Consumer Reports table is rather powerful…

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:04 AM   #21
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Best of luck! Stellantis makes some compelling products, but quality and reliability are not there for the most part, and yeah, their service departments are a disaster.

I had a Jeep Compass 4XE rental in Europe recently (this model not available in the U.S.) and it was a hot mess. My first time driving a PHEV, but lots of bucking and surging, and you never knew what exactly was going to happen whenever you put your foot on the accelerator. It actually drove best in pure EV mode when I could get enough of a charge into it from the engine (no place to plug-in where I was), but sadly only had about 30-40 km range like that. Highway efficiency was terrible, and it only had like a 10 gallon tank. I managed to coax the battery up to 80-90% by my last fuel stop prior to returning the car, and then rode the rest of the way in on pure EV mode without touching the gas in the tiny fuel tank, which would start to drop off of FULL the second you left the station. So the PHEV was at least nice for that and not getting dinged for not returning with a full tank!
Attached Images

04-18-2024, 10:17 AM   #22
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfeinst View Post
Hate to pile on but I have a 21 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe and, while it has been trouble free in terms of general issues, it has had 5 recalls in 2 1/2 years. The dealers are TERRIBLE and I always have to pay for a rental as loaners are a foreign subject at a Jeep dealer. I put up with a lot because it's a Wrangler- unique and fun to drive. I'm not sure I'd be as tolerant for a generic SUV. Hope your experience is better!

One piece of advice, with any Jeep product, go replace the 12V battery asap and save yourself some headaches.
Piggy back off of this. Have a 21 Rubicon 4xE and it was great for a year and half. Then the recalls started to come in and since then it started to be a nuisance. Left us stranded once. Dealer wasn’t that inclined with the vehicle…great car when it works.