BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2024, 10:44 AM   #1
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Apple Watch digital key "key missing" error

I have been out of town for two weeks. Prior to leaving my Apple watch worked fine as a digital key. When I got back it would not do anything. I opened the BMW app on the watch, entered my PIN, and then tapping the app icons would allow me to unlock the car. I could not unlock it from the door handle though. When I tried starting the car I got "key missing" error. iDrive says watch can do everything. My iphone let me open, start, and drive the car as expected.

This happened once before, after a week of non-use. I removed and re-installed the watch as a digital key and it worked fine until it did not last night. Any suggestions on what to do to fix this, short of removing and re-installing the watch as a digital key?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:02 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
I have been out of town for two weeks. Prior to leaving my Apple watch worked fine as a digital key. When I got back it would not do anything. I opened the BMW app on the watch, entered my PIN, and then tapping the app icons would allow me to unlock the car. I could not unlock it from the door handle though. When I tried starting the car I got "key missing" error. iDrive says watch can do everything. My iphone let me open, start, and drive the car as expected.

This happened once before, after a week of non-use. I removed and re-installed the watch as a digital key and it worked fine until it did not last night. Any suggestions on what to do to fix this, short of removing and re-installing the watch as a digital key?

thanks
different Digital Key versions exist for preLCI and LCI, so you need to state what year your vehicle is because the operating behaviors are different

with preLCI vehicles, you need to remove the Watch and place it on the tray as it operates using NFC.
with LCI vehicles, UWB is used, so placing it on the tray is not required.

no operational issues for me:
MY21 45e i-Level 11/2023.50
iPhone 14 Pro iOS 17.4.1
Apple Watch 7 watchOS 10.4

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-12-2024 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:10 AM   #3
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It is a 2024 LCI. I don't place the watch in the tray. Apple watch series 6. iPhone is an XR that does need to be in the tray or touch the door handle to open the door.

Last edited by davchr; 05-12-2024 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:20 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is a 2024 LCI. I don't place the watch in the tray. iPhone is an XR that does need to be in the tray or touch the door handle to open the door.
ok, then just ensure watchOS is up to date or maybe just reboot it. doesn't hurt to reboot iDrive as well. since everything is so computer-based now, rebooting/restarting affected devices and components is my first troubleshooting step. personally, i've very rarely had to uninstall and reinstall apps on my iPhone or Watch or delete and reinstall devices in iDrive. Update apps and services in iDrive, too. if all that doesn't work, then i tend to research or reach out.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-12-2024 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
davchr98.50
      05-12-2024, 11:33 AM   #5
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
ok, then just ensure watchOS is up to date or maybe just reboot it. doesn't hurt to reboot iDrive as well. since everything is so computer-based now, rebooting/restarting affected devices and components is my first troubleshooting. personally, i've very rarely had to uninstall and reinstall apps on my iPhone or Watch or delete and reinstall them in iDrive. Update apps and services in iDrive, too. if all that doesn't work, then i tend to research or reach out.
I rebooted the watch and that fixed it. WatchOS was up to date. Seems strange that it should need rebooting. I hope that is not a normal procedure after a week or two of non use.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4754.00
      05-12-2024, 11:35 AM   #6
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Another question for you - how do you get the Garage List option in your profile? I don't seem to have that option in my profile.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 12:04 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another question for you - how do you get the Garage List option in your profile? I don't seem to have that option in my profile.
thanks
i set mine up via the desktop site as that was how i interacted with this forum for several months before i knew of the app. when looking in the app, i don't see a way to add your vehicle/garage

desktop site:
click on your profile page > click on BMW Garage where you can add yours
Appreciate 0