BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2023, 10:37 PM   #1
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Resonator Delete & High-Flow Catted Downpipe (400 cell GESI cat) sound - 2019 40i with M Sport Exhaust:
https://youtu.be/545X8ZiZa8A

What do you guys think?

And how does it sound compared to the M Performance Exhaust with OEM DP?

Any questions?

Cost in USD: $1000 for the DP; $110 for the resonator delete = ~$1,110

Still very tame in comfort. Cold start isn’t very loud (that is subjective). Sounds good in Sport/Sport+, and still not super loud! A nice compromise for a family vehicle. This has made driving in Sport a bit more fun.

Unfortunately, there are no mild crackles/burbles when downshifting, slowing down or coming to a stop. Through comments I've read in bimmerpost, I hear the MPE does have some crackles/burbles when coming to a stop. And with my set-up, revving when in park, doesn't sound like anything was done (at least from inside) - will have to step outside and have someone else rev the engine while I have a listen. I'm never ever going to rev the engine while it's in park, but, just a note to highlight some differences vs MPE. From the videos I've heard with the MPE, when the engine is revved in park, you can tell there's an exhaust, and it sounds relatively good (great vs stock).

Excited to eventually flash tune it for some more power and OEM sounding burbles (like the x3 m40i would be ideal imo). Waiting for MHD to release their DME unlocker module.

Last edited by gx5_027; 06-12-2023 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 3
Tch-Nrd124.50
SKBSY887.50
      06-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Sounds good to me!

You can try opening the exhaust flap (search the forum for which fuse to pull) and that will give some nice rumble at low rpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #3
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Sounds good to me!

You can try opening the exhaust flap (search the forum for which fuse to pull) and that will give some nice rumble at low rpm.
atlas cool. I’ve heard of this. I think though, it might result in a bit of drone. I have bimmercode and “coded” (selected the button lol) where the exhaust flap is always open - too much drone, but will try again and see if I get some crackles.

I think a flash tune will give me what I want eventually!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:49 PM   #4
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Is there a GPF in the stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 11:13 PM   #5
flat6
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 G05

I’ve pulled the fuse and it’s a decent improvement during cold start and does r drone at highway speeds. I’m out of warranty now and want to program the exhaust for the X3 M40 sound you mentioned. Which exhaust tune are you considering?

Also, which downpipe did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:47 PM   #6
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyBHGM5 View Post
Is there a GPF in the stock exhaust?
Not sure to be honest
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:49 PM   #7
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
I’ve pulled the fuse and it’s a decent improvement during cold start and does r drone at highway speeds. I’m out of warranty now and want to program the exhaust for the X3 M40 sound you mentioned. Which exhaust tune are you considering?

Also, which downpipe did you go with?
I’ll be going with MHD for the tune - not just an exhaust tune - it will bump up HP and TQ quite a bit.
I grabbed basically a clone of the Active Autowerke downpipe with the GESI cat -
No CEL. I can’t recommend it though because I had to tinker with fitment.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I have a BM3 tune and the "M Sport exhaust" fitted from the factory (not M Performance exhaust) - using BM3 I have turned on GTS startup roar and I've set the flap to be open all the time in sport mode only. Those 2 features alone make a big difference.

The startup roar sounds great and having the flap open in sport mode at all times gives it a deep rumble even when just pootling around. Its not droney imo. But even so, as the flap operates as normal in comfort mode, its only loud when you want it to be.

I did try burbles using BM3 but nothing happened. Then I read that you don't want to use burbles if you have a petrol particulate filter (which I do - UK regulations) as throwing fuel down the exhaust system with a PPF is probably not the best idea, so I'll just live without burbles.
Appreciate 0