View Single Post
      07-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Your options are endless.

I recommend reading reviews on the mobo. And looking at hardforums.com for general info and hidden customer reviews.

Otherwise, your general setup should probably be an i5 2500k, on a LGA 1155 socket mobo with a P67 chipset or X68. Most mobo's support SLI and while spacing isnt always the same between brands I don't think that will be a big issue to worry about. You will also inevitably need new ram if you are going up to a DDR3 mobo. In which case the sweet spot is 8GB of DDR3 1600 (PC 12800) ram. Top brands are G.Skill, Corsair/Kingston, and Crucial.

That should help get you started.

But here are some things to be aware of for upcoming tech.

Intel will release it's new Ivy Bridge chips in Q1 2012, this will bring with it a new chipset (X79) and a new high end socket on the mobo (LGA 2011). These new intel chips will be a major step forward, and will use Tri-gate transistors (3D transistors). Also, AMD should be releasing a new line of Graphics card in September with nVidia following shortly thereafter in late Q4 or early Q1 2012 with their next gen product lineup. And lastly, with the new intel chipset and new graphics cards will come full adoption of PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, and the new Thunderbolt transfer medium from Intel.

So I personally am waiting to build a new machine until LGA 2011, and PCI-E3.0 are out on the main market. Which won't be too much longer.