04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
For reference, M adaptive is not any lower than the stock Msport suspension, so you won't get a lower ride height.
I don't think it would be worth the cost to retrofit the adaptive dampers.
You'd be better off getting the BMW M Performance suspension.

If you want a lower ride height, then look into either an aftermarket set of springs, or perhaps the M Performance springs.
The M Performance springs are lower and firmer rate as most aftermarket springs are.
The full M Performance suspension kit comes with different dampers and a lower and firmer set of springs.
Some owners with the M adaptive system have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with positive results.
And also owners with the sport suspension have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with good results.

The sport and M adaptive suspensions are very similar in that they use the same ride height springs, and the spring rates are very likely to be the same or near same.
When setting the M adaptive to full sport mode it doesn't feel any firmer than the sport suspensions static tuning. The difference is that the M adaptive can "adapt" the internal damping circuit using electronically controlled valves, so that there is better damping control over different surfaces and bumps.
I have M adaptive on my Msport and comparing it to the standard sport suspension I don't feel too much difference, but that's because I haven't had extensive comparison time on a variety of surfaces.
The adaptive dampers offer the ability to improve damping, and the greater difference is that one can set the adaptive suspension to 'comfort' mode, which results in a noticeably smoother ride on rougher surfaces and highway cruising. But, the trade off is that there is more body roll and leaning in harder turns.
BMW missed the boat on this one. The M adaptive suspension offers not much, if any, better "sport" performance over the stock sport suspension.
It would be a much better value if the M adaptive was between the stock sport and M Performance suspensions. The springs should be at least
20%-25% firmer over the sport set up.
Are you saying M Adaptive is pretty much the same as the M Sport passive suspension when set in Sport/Sport+ modes? And, M Adaptive is softer than Passive in Comfort/Eco Pro?