06-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

sometimes I think school is for people who do not possess the fire and hunger to go out and make actual shit happen.
I agree with this thought. Most students I see today are not driven, focused or have a road map on what their exact plans are in the future to come. They graduate and are like "what do I do now?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post
I believe it depends on the field but this topic has been beat to death in about 20 other threads.

Want to be a doctor? Yes college is worth it.

Want to be a guy that sells stuff? Probably not needed.

Want to sit and do coding all day? Maybe.
I disagree. This topic is a bit more specific. Historically speaking, (circa 1990's) college was a huge benefit and the cost to get in was low. In 2014 and moving forward, I believe most 4 year colleges are a bad deal.

Even you mentioned being a doctor. My fiancee who is a RN works closely with doctors and has heard a common theme among most of these doctors. They say, if they could do it all over again, they would have been a nurse.

Depending on the practice, these MD's have insane amounts of student loan debt and when it is paid off (~10 years later), they work so damn hard that the extra $10-30k they make over some of these RN's isn't worth it.
Appreciate 0