03-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
To be honest, I'm tired of waiting on BMW to produce something that only requires a change in shape, as the connector is remaining the same. We pay $500 for this option, and they are lax in producing the tools needed to fully take advantage of it. If it isn't produced soon, I'm going to take a used iPhone 5/5s snap-in adapter, and cut a piece of ¼" plywood into the shape of an iPhone 5 with a cutout for the female end of an extension lightning cable to plug into the male end of the lightning connector in the snap-in adapter. I've read others have had positive results via this method. With the plywood, the adapter thinks a phone is snapped-in, and with the extension cable, you are able to connect any size iPhone 6 you wish. Where you place the phone is up to you. For me, being able to utilize the roof antenna makes a huge difference in reception.
I don't believe there's any difference in just connecting your phone to the USB with the standard Apple cable.

The antenna connection, on iPhones, is not actually available via the dock or lightning connection. You actually benefit from this via induction from the backplate - so just resting your phone on a non-compatible dock insert with the USB cable connected to the armrest USB connector will have the same effect...
Appreciate 0