05-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #28573
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
I suppose this is a...calo-watts system?!?!
No it's just a power meter which measures power output in watts. Lab coats can take a gram of protein, carb or fat and burn it measuring the power created, probably in BTUs or something. Then they can convert that power output to watts with some long division or something, thus quantifying how much power it takes to burn a calorie. Therefor, you get accurate calorie consumption during exercise if you're power output is measured with a calibrated power meter.

It's great for training because speed and time over distance is greatly affected by so many variables. With a power meter, it doesn't record effort unless you're putting out effort. On my saturday rides, essentially interval training due to climbing hills, i coast down several of the hills to recover from the climb up. I get zero power reading from coasting down a hill while putting up 32mph on my speed metric. That's why speed and time are inaccurate ways to measure training. Also, my HR is still climbing as i start coasting, not doing any work, which is why HR isn't as accurate as a power meter for calorie consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
What did I just say?!?!