06-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #196
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
1) The new X1 is a much better subcompact SUV than the old one was. You can dislike it, but it’s better at what it needed to be, period, and even today, three years later, is probably the best vehicle in its class. Again, you are welcome to dislike that class, but it is what it needed to be.

2) The new X5 has a 335hp B58 engine. The old X5 has a 300hp N55. New one 0-60 in 5.3s, which is class leading. Old one, 6.0s. Maybe math works different where you’re from, but it is faster and more powerful everywhere other than on your keyboard.
I own E84 and had the new F48 for six months on the job.
You have no ideea what are you talking about.
My wife will probably knock you down with her non car-enthusiast comments. She was bang on when comparing the two X1’s. And she doesnt want the new X1 “under any circumstances” because is lazy, instable and without guts”. That’s aside from mechanics and other closed involved professionals that are sharing the same opinion.
And no, it is far from best in class. FAR. Please do your homework.

If you need a list with cheapness aproach and shortcuts done on this car, (aside from FWD haldex and less HP, or boaty ride compared with the E84) let me know, I will gladly make it for you, including pictures to show you where the value is and how cheap and shitty that vehicle is.
To say that a sedan platform with a RWD biased transmission is worse than a tall Suv with Haldex you must lack some basic knowledge.
Aslo, since we are talking math, keep in mind that in US the E84 was very shortly lived. Canada had it one year ahead of you while my family in Europe was running the vehicle for more thean four years ahead of you. Of course is less seen or acknowledged.

Also, you have no ideea what a great deal the E84 was. A fully loaded X1 (3 Series) bought for less than a medium 3 Series Touring, just to have people on board. It was a lot of car for the money. And in here I am talking good materials and better fit and finish than F84 will ever have.

Secondly, the 335 Hp engine is a shame, BMW used to rule this game, no more.
For a 3 series or 2 series (if is lighter and not like M2 versus M3) is a good engine; for a boat like the new X5 and keeping mind the others, is a SHAME.

Leave the math aside, I was not talking about the old X5, I was talking about the 335 engine card that is overplayed and is not even something that you can call even refeshing not to mention a benchmark.

Never thought I will walk in an Audi dealership, yet today, after more than 17 years, I was looking at the S5. That tells me a lot. Also, the guy showed me by what margin they beat BMW in sales. Yeah, I hate to admit it but they have a nice product, with nice no fake sound and more powerful for less money...

Last edited by Teutonic; 06-06-2018 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 1