View Single Post
      08-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #203
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't really understand why you're so convinced that people don't care about how cars drive anymore.
I'm not saying some drivers don't desire decent driving cars. What I observe many folks are not primarily looking for the best driving dynamics, there is much more to car buying/using these days. Plus most cars drive reasonably well, at the speeds we drive day to day.

If the best chassis dynamics were so important, here in the UK we'd see much greater sales for the Jaguar XE & XF. Both are rated as better than the 3 & 5-series. Users will give away that finer chassis for the better infotainment system and the total 'package' of the BMW. So what is driving sales?

Here in the UK the E9x models got a hammering by users for being too harsh and unforgiving. Many say the E90 was the last decent driving BMW 3-series. Why the contradiction, if driving dynamics comes first?

One of the biggest pieces of evidence for me, is summed up in three letters, SUV. So many who used to drive decent cars (even M-cars) have moved to an SUV/SAV. They say they prefer them and don't see going back to vehicles which enthusiasts would call driver's cars.

In the UK the SUV and crossover are getting ever more popular, users want more than simply a driver focused vehicle for their daily drive.

Many young folks are not into cars the way some of us were in our younger years, that also impacts on how they assess a car.

Add in the changes to practical driving, congestion, speed limits, enforcement, etc. Priorities have changed, to having greater luxuries and more comfort, for the drudgeries of driving.
Appreciate 0