View Single Post
      09-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #35
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
How does a vehicle in this configuration typically operate? Does the engine help you to accelerate up to speed and then turn off to let you coast on electric? I see the electric motor also transmits power through the transmission. I can't imagine the 115 or so hp would do anything but assist acceleration and maybe let you cruise.

Also, if anyone knows — on the 40i gas models is the AC compressor electrically driven or belt-driven by the engine?
When the car is in hybrid mode, throttle position will dictate which motor is being used. In all cases the battery will always deliver power.

So in traffic, if you're inching up, or moderately accelerating, it'll be all battery power. When enough throttle is given, the ICE kicks. The moment you put less pressure on the throttle or completely remove throttle, the battery is the primary power unit. Upon coasting and deceleration, the car charges the battery.

In sport mode, the ICE and battery delivers power at all throttle positions.

In e-drive mode, the ICE typically will not turn on until the battery reaches a predefined minimum level. The car then drives in hybrid mode until there is sufficient charge to the battery to a predetermined level (via plugging it in or regenerative braking) for e-drive and allow battery only power again.
Appreciate 1
X5_CC290.00