natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
It seems that even though they cars are assembled in the US, many if not most of the parts come from Germany. In my case, both the drive belt and the tool to install it came from Germany, or at least that is what the dealer told me.
Oh yes, I know that is true. People discuss it on this forum all the time. My case is nothing special.

The reality is that car parts come from all over the world. A Toyota or a Honda is as much “made in the USA” as a domestic car. So your parts may have come from japan, Mexico or China, shipped to Bavaria, THEN sent to the US.

Car makers know this. It is insane that they don’t set up more manageable parts systems. Stupid is what it is.

When we bought our highlander in 2011 it was just after the Japanese earthquake/tidal wave/nuclear disaster. Most cars of ANY brand couldn’t be made because all the paint comes from Japan. We were happy to get a car off the lot because we needed one quick, but they were getting very picked over.

It is what it is. Not sure any other brand will be better in terms of repair timelines, so I guess it’s the devil you know or the devil you don’t.
Appreciate 0