06-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #851
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
My last name is Hole. I had an uncle Harold. And a great uncle Gaylord. When we were picking names for our 2 girls , we got one of those baby books and tore out all the pages for A, B, C, S. I thought Anthony Scott Steven would be good for a boy. My middle initial is A, which gets a lot of giggles. I always thought I should get one of those mail in doctor diplomas. Then I could be Doctor A Hole. "Paging Dr. A Hole". Great name for a proctologist.

I was also a fighter pilot in the Navy. My first callsign was Butt. When I completed training in the Hornet, I went straight on cruise on the USS America (CV-66). Strangely enough, there was another F-18 pilot with a last name of Hohl and his callsign was Butt as well. Well, CAG told me we couldn't have two buttholes in the same Airwing, so I needed a new callsign. You don't get to pick your own callsign, so that started the callsign lottery where we put up all the suggested callsigns on the white board in the ready room. Stinkin', Smokin', and many others were proposed. Generally, whichever one I disliked the most was considered a front runner, but I kept my poker face. After a few days, my Skipper who was a good ole boy from Georgia, walked into the ready room, pondered the proposed callsigns and then declared that I would be Corn Hole. Seemed ok to me. I didn't know that corn hole was a southern colloquialism for being done up the butt, though. The callsign stuck and I was Corn for 18 years. I still work with a lot of my squadron mates now and they all call me Corn. If my wife wants to get my attention, she calls me Corn.

Had I been in the Air Force, I would have been Major A. Hole.

When I was a test pilot, they painted my name and callsign on the side of one of the F-18s. This was normal ops. But we always had VIPs and TV shows rolling through and the maintenance guys would always put them in or in front of side number 107, which had Corn Hole on the side of it. One TV show noticed it and moved to the rear of the aircraft for their interview.

When I was still Butt, I roomed with an A-6 pilot who was transitioning to the Hornet. His last name was Packer, callsign Fudge. They put our nameplates on our BOQ room as Butt Hole and Fudge Packer. He went on to be a Blue Angel and they did NOT paint Fudge on the side of his jet.
Thanks for your service!