View Single Post
      10-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #98
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

TO answer a couple of questions:
- just having the module installed will not automatically enable trailer mode...the thing that does is having that, the rest of the harness, and actually plugging something into the trailer's electrical connection. In Europe, many people active it by using a lighted bar since bikes tend to cover up the vehicle's and it's required to use the harness to get the aux lights to work
- the factory, or OEM hitch has a cutout on the rear of the bumper (inside NA anyway)...the Stealth hitch structure is entirely behind the stock bumper cover, but to get to attach either the square receiver we use to mount a bike rack, or a ball to actually pull a trailer, those go up into that structure behind the bumper cover, and to get to that to make a connection, yes, you must cut a hole in the bottom of the bumper cover. It's in a black plastic area, but behind it is shiney aluminum heat shield, so if you're down low enough, you can see that, even if you don't have either the receiver or the ball installed. To remove those attachments and make it Stealthy, you reach up through that hole, unlock the keyed pin, then turn a locking handle, and the thing (should) drop out into your hand. I had the predecessor of that on my GT, and that opening did allow some dirt and moisture to get in behind. I could have gone that way with my X5, but decided that the cost and convenience of having it OEM overcame any appearance issue. You can't see it while driving!
Appreciate 1