pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Nice, I did that mod for the 42" snow blower on my Deere. I find the most noticeable improvement is the performance in wet slushy snow, where it would clog or barely throw it before the modification.

Ethanol fuels have made rarely used small engines like homeowner chainsaws/weed eaters, etc a nightmare to own for many people. I fix small engines as a side gig, and currently have a bunch of 1-2 year old customer equipment in my garage that won't start due to fuel being left in it from last season. Manufacturers won't warranty the repair either if the machine wasn't stored per their instructions.
I have reliable access to 91 octane non-oxygenated gas at a number of different stations, so that's the only thing I use in anything I don't drive on the road. Perhaps it's not widely available. Before storing anything for the season I always run the engine dry and drain the tank, then spray a short blast of WD-40 into the intake and crank or pull it several times. I have very little patience for sh!t that won't start when I have a job to do, so it's good preventative maintenance for the machines and for my sanity as well. If I have to fuel something up every time I use it, it's a small price to pay for having it work every time.