beerman80
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I will suggest once again, please step back and read the manual and try and understand what it is saying and not what you want it to say.
This is my last post on this. Not sure why it has devolved to this level, but it is what it is.

We are clearly talking about two different things. So, for anyone else reading this thread, I am going to summarize it in the event someone else has a similar question in the future.

You are talking about the Lane departure warning feature (pg. 206 in the 2021 X5 manual), which is part of the Intelligent Safety System. This system works exactly as you've described.

I am talking about the feature BMW calls Steering assistant (pg. 245 in the latest 2021 X5 manual). This system is also referred to as the Steering and Lane Control Assistant in older versions of the G05 manual (and even in the 2021 manual reference section).

The first paragraph (Concept) of this system says:

The system assists the driver in keeping the ve‐
hicle within the lane. For this purpose, the sys‐
tem executes supporting steering movements,
for instance when driving in a curve.

This is the exact same language used in the X3M manual for the Steering and traffic jam assistant function.

Engaging the brakes disables this system on the X5. This same system on the X3M does not disable when the brakes are engaged.
So, taking the long way around it seems, that is the point I've been trying to make here.

My other recent vehicles, Audi SQ5/Q7, have similar "steering assist, drive you around a curve, etc" systems that do not deactivate when the brakes are applied.
I think I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2018 M550i has steering assist that keeps me centered in the lane and will steer the car around curves. It is also independent of my active cruise control as I often turn it on without using cruise control and it stays on whether I brake or not.
Appreciate 0