View Single Post
      02-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #96
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
First off, Tesla seems to be sourcing consumer or at least not automotive-grade screens and other parts. That ongoing recall however was not because of the touchscreen, but about their storage device shutting down after N write cycles which came earlier than originally expected due to their excessive data logging.

I do agree that if you want to keep your car for 20 years, it's unclear whether the current crop of touch-screen enabled cars will still fully work, but in the foreseeable future, the hardware should be good enough by now I think,
As part of the Tesla recall, they stated that the electronics are not expected to last the lifetime of the car. I think they said something like 5-6 years is more realistic. That doesn't sound great. But then, how long do you expect your laptop to last?

Edit: This is an excerpt from a letter written by Tesla to NHTSA. The full letter is on the nhtsa gov site.

"While the wear rate is heavily influenced by the active use of the center display system, even more so when the vehicle is in drive or charging, given a reasonable average daily use of 1.4 cycles, the expected life would be 5-6 years. NHTSA has not presented any evidence to suggest that this expected life is outside industry norms or that the eMMC flash memory device itself does not comport with that average lifetime estimate.
Instead, NHTSA has asserted that the component should last at least the useful life of the vehicle, essentially double its expected lifespan. Tesla has significant concerns with the impact of this tentative conclusion."

I don't think BMW or any other car manufacturer would have a different expected life for display systems. It's also interesting that we expect the total life of a car to be 10-12 years, according to the Tesla statement above. Yet the average age of cars in the U.S. is 11.9 years old and a quarter of the cars on the road are 16+ years old. Cars are becoming more disposable or what?

Last edited by bmwdrive; 02-18-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0