View Single Post
      02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #139
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Thanks! probably get 2 (1 on each side) to have that extra step of breaking the plastic oppose to just taking that plastic off and walking away i'm holding off on them till i get everything in to make that decision....

can you post a few other pics to show where you mount the rails?
Even after you take off the plastic, you still need an allen wrench to unclamp the rails - so anyone wanting to steel these would need that tool and/or have to know they need it. So from my experience, if the theif is that prepared and/or motivated to steel the rails - the locks will not stop them.

I will suggest waiting to buy the locks until you get your carrier. The carrier comes with keys and the keys will have a number N137 or something like that. When you buy the locks, you would want to by the locks that correspond to your key so that you only have one key for the locks and the carrier.

I don't have a ton of pics of the rails, I take them off when I'm not using them. I did note my placement though. measuring from the top of the windshield, the first rail falls at approximately 20 inches and the next rail is 27.5 inches from the first. This should put the back edge of the front rail in line with the front edge of the shadow line trim of the front door. The back edge of the rear rail should be flush with the trim piece that separates the main window with the smaller pillar window on the rear door.

However, with all that being said - I saw another poster on here who said he had zero wind noise and had his rails pushed further back than mine - so I'll experiment with that this summer before our annual trip.
Attached Images

Last edited by VTENGR; 02-24-2021 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 2