04-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #146
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWGinMD View Post
So adding my $0.02 and anecdotal experience here.

I went with the Thule Wingbar Evo to support the Motion XL for road trips with either all the aminals or more than just 2 people in the car, and a pair of kayaks and paddles for the season here in the DMV.

So far, knock on wood, 0 noise at any speed up to ~80mph - haven't had a need to go above that and rarely do, especially not sustained.

I mounted the front bar with the center of the tightening bolt 20" from the front of the roof rail, and 30" between the rear of the bracket on the front bar and the front of the bracket on the rear bar.

I'll test it with actual stuff mounted in the coming weeks/months since right now we're back to highs in the 60s. But the bars by themselves, 0 whistling.

To reiterate: Thule ftw!
we also have the motion xl, but got the thule aeroblade. no noise just the aeroblade, but when we mount the motion xl, we get a decent amount of wind noise regardless of speed (higher speed is a little louder). I think where i mounted the box is causing the whistling.

if i may ask, can i get a photo/sketch of what youre trying to described with regard to where the motion xl is mounted? having a difficult time understanding.

Last edited by dream54ing; 04-15-2021 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0