09-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #130
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delm View Post
My wife and I just had a similar conversation this morning. Long-time BMW owner here. I've never had an unexpected rattle suddenly appear in any of our BMWs. Can't say that about the Land Rover we bought new and got rid of as fast as we could. The "thump" you hear when you close the door on our X5...you don't hear the same thump in cars that are lesser-engineered. Yes - when you look at a Kia, or Genesis, or many other SUVs and compare them to an X5, if you are only matching up features and electronics, on paper they will look similar, or even better than the BMW. But to the person that really understands, the hum and high rev of the inline 6 is simply art. The thump of the door hints at the tolerances. The fact that your X5 is highly unlikely to ever spontaneously start an annoying rattle or tick that you can never locate or fix....this is where the additional tens of thousands of dollars go. Is the X5 worth the price difference? Not to everybody, but it sure is to me.
X5 unlikely to ever have a rattle? Really? SA at a popular BMW dealer told me it was one of the most common reasons for service appointments…Porsche is the only German manufacturer that I know that consistently ranks at the top in quality surveys. Just saying….
Appreciate 0