View Single Post
      10-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The EPA numbers try to be close to real world values, but in reality, they provide an apples-apples comparison, since the procedure is the same for all vehicles (well, Tesla uses an optional test that is allowed, but nobody else does, so their numbers look higher).

Unless you were to drive under exactly the same circumstances, you'd not likely get the same values. Then, throw in on an EV or PHEV, the temperature can make a big difference, as the actual capacity of the battery fluctuates (decreases) when it's colder.

Prior to a 2000-mile trip, nearly all of my driving was around town, where EV or hybrid mode was used, and the computer said almost 90-mpg. In about 2000-miles, I had only used about 1.5 tanks of fuel. Then, I drove a fully loaded vehicle, at about an average of 75-mph along mostly interstates, and calculating fuel used and miles traveled, it showed about 28-mpg, and the since new average went to about 40 (and is climbing back up again slowly).

Take two different people, drive the same route, they'll likely get different results. Run in sport mode, in stop and go in the city, and it won't get great mileage, but do the same out on the road, it will be much better.
Appreciate 0