nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
For such amount of money you spent on the panel I can run my X5 on gas in sport mode for around 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Even if you did have to purchase the solar equipment, charging the PHEV is a small fraction of what solar can provide.
i agree with you j1980mac, but ksavostin sees it like this: instead of spending $10000 on solar equipment, he'd rather spend $10000 to run his "X5 on gas in sport mode for around 20 years". he wants his money to give him something back immediately. that's a "cop out" response because he didn't have to pay to build the gas station or gasoline supply in the tanks.

it's also a short-sighted way to view things. i will agree that one can't really benefit from solar energy until the up-front equipment costs are paid off, but in those 20 years of him running on gas, the cost of both gas and electricity will increase (not to mention all that CO2 emission). one benefit of solar i'm privy to now is not relying on gas or the electric company to run my X5. still, solar isn't for everyone, but it annoys me when people denounce things generally when it just doesn't benefit them or they don't see the value in it. i say, "if it doesn't work for you, that's fine, just don't spoil the possibility it could work for someone else."

i mentioned it before: there are folks who treat their 45e as an ICE vehicle first and as an EV second, and there are folks who treat it the other way around. no matter which camp you're in, you're using less gas than a comparable ICE-only vehicle, so it's a win-win but YMMV (pun intended).

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-04-2021 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50