01-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #5
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Myneezy View Post
Newbie here, just got 22" m50i black sapphire 22"742. Considering it's the exact same engine detuned, used in the M competition, I'd like to know people's thoughts? I get that some will say no way it's not an M car, others will say it's in between, but technically bmws website when you go to order the car, M50i is under the M setup, combined with the M competition. If you google it, many websites will argue it is "every bit an M car" where others will say absolutely not.

You basically can find info in today's day in age to back up whatever your claim/stance/opinion is.

Thoughts?
In the end, both have an M. So whatever you think it is, is all that matters. The top end M cars have a different engine (many parts are different, not just tuned differently). I believe the chassis tuning is also very different, the seats are different and the exterior styling as well. The M50i is closer inside and out to the Xdrive 40i than the X5M. The M50i replaced the Xdrive 50i, so it's more of badging thing than anything else. But as long as you can enjoy the car, it's all that matter. It has an M logo in the back…back in the day, there used to be a diesel version that used to be sold as M50d and I don't think anyone considered it a 'real' M. It was never sold in the US and I believe was designated as M since it was BMWs most potent diesel. The N63 is not the most powerful gasoline engine, the S63 on the X5M/C is.

But BMW has the right to call any car a 'real' M. Sales of products like the M50i has led to record sales for the M Division. Which is great for the company. It is also making M designated products more accessible for the masses. At the very least, M used to represent the top of the line for BMW. Now M is mid and top, is how I'd think about it.

The M designation to the 50i is likely leading to significant upsells from the 40i since you get into an M for just a little more than a fully loaded 40i. It is clever marketing for sure.
Appreciate 6