View Single Post
      05-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #78
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
Obviously this is a matter of personal priorities but there was about a $20K difference between the M50i we ordered and a similarly equipped X5M. I was hard pressed to justify that for differences.

I'm pretty happy that I can buy a X5 with more than 500 hp without going all in on an M. And heck, that car is $20K more than a 40i so the folks buying that version would be saying the same thing to me.

Truth be told, I probably should have ordered the 40i and would have loved it. But there was a time back in 2007 when I was about to pull the trigger on a M6 with V10 500 hp. I at there looking at the sales contract ready to sign it when the sales guy suggested that I take my 540 6 speed to CarMax to see what they'd give me for it before I traded it. I did that and then went around the corner to the Porsche dealer. I ended up buying a Carrera 4S instead and thus never have owned an M car yet.

When I went shopping this time I thought this might be the time. My wife gave me marching orders to eliminate anything with a slower than her current '13 X5 35i. I got her to test drive a 40i and the M50i and she's the one that said "let's buy the one that barks." I have no idea what kind of wait we would have had for an X5M and fortunately, my wife didn't get to drive that one
I went to the dealer ready to buy an M50i and once I drove that and the X5M, the M50i wasn't even a contender. My wife is also a car enthusiast and she said, "lets get the M"

Now we're on my G80 order, she OK'd the carbon buckets, but myself on the other hand, may not want it.
Appreciate 1