View Single Post
      09-02-2022, 12:03 PM   #28
DRMura
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Thanks to everyone for the great information in this thread. I ordered a 45e in April and it has just now been dispatched from the factory. I live in the northeast USA so it hopefully will be at the dealer shortly. Before I drive the car, I wanted to understand how the high voltage system works along with the 12v system, and this discussion and others have been very helpful. From what I gather, the 12v battery is there mainly to start up the electronics in the car, but once driven, the high voltage system powers the 12v electronics via a DC-to-DC converter. This is similar to an alternator running in a non-EV. Basically, all the electronics run off the 12v system, and the high voltage batteries are there to power the electric motor and provide charging to the 12v battery while the car is driven. I’ve ordered the car with all the options and all of them are included according to MyGarage. I was concerned that all the extra power consumption for the additional features would drain the 12v battery more quickly, but I guess there is nothing to worry about unless the car is not driven for an extended period.
Appreciate 0