View Single Post
      10-10-2022, 12:33 AM   #12
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Have you owned other BMWs with ZF8 transmissions?

While the peculiarity is that here it is a 45e, something these transmissions do as they age (like 40-50k miles) is have a jerky first shift in the morning when cold - like the engine revs but the transmissions not engaged and then suddenly it engages. You may get it earlier depending how the transmission's been experiencing wear. It's surprising that it's happening on a hybrid though.

I don't have any issues with my 45e. Because the transmission is still engaged and the electric motor's torque is not perfectly flat, there is a speed range in the middle on the way to 60 where if you're flooring in electric-only mode, the car feels like it's running out of peak power before a gear shift and then it's able to catch its breath and power up further into higher speeds beautifully. The performance from 65 mph to 80 mph-ish in electric-only mode can be very variable based on slope of road, temperature, prior load on battery and motor, etc. I just about never use it exclusively above 50 mph other than "just because".
I had 740Le G12 that didn’t have any problems. I had my old gearbox on the current X5 45e that didn’t have the problem with jerking in the mornings, but then the new gearbox started to do that RIGHT AFTER it was swapped to a new one. That happened about twice a month. Now it happens 3-5 times a week. And the dealer who changed the gearbox said - oh that’s ok. I’ve been there 3 times. And that’s not ok. It feels like somebody smashed in the rear. It’s really strong. I used to drive a rental 530e and 330e - sometimes acceleration from standstill is not perfectly smooth, but I didn’t feel any hard jerks as my car does. Now I changed my dealer in a hope that they can do something. But they didn’t (surprise), but promised to contact bmw factory.

And btw I’m still on 11/2021 sw. on my request to update the software in a hope that the problem is fixed the previous dealer answered with a denial
Appreciate 0