nh50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
You have two options:

(1.) Hide the swirls
The best product I've seen to fill in swirls is NV's Nova Lustre which makes them disappear especially on dark colors, but it's best to coat the entire car which is easy to do ... though you probably want to prep the car first, i.e., a strip wash (an APC, or Car Pro Reset or Lift, or Koch-Chemie touchless, or similar), then blow dry, then panel wipe with a 50/50 IPA solution, or Nova Clarity, or Car Pro Eraser, or similar. Then do the coating.

(2.) Physically remove them
You have polish them off with a random orbital polisher like Grigots on the cheap side or Rupes or Flex.

Polishing really isn't hard to do even for a noob, it's your ABSOLUTE BEST WAY to increase gloss, and it's kinda the reason no DIY detailer type should be putting on a long-lasting expensive pro-applied ceramic coating: you're gonna end up just polishing it off!

There's almost no risk to an RO polisher as long as you don't use heavy cut pads & polish. Some youtube dudes did an RO burn-through test and it took them like 15 minutes holding the polisher in just one spot. It's pretty fool-proof.

Light swirls only require a 1-step or "step 2" polish.

Rupes polishers are more expensive but I like them the best and the they have a simple color-coded pad/polish system.
I think I will at least start with the Nova Lustre route. On the site it says useage of approximately 25ml per application. Does that sound right to you? Would love to try the product a bit before going with the larger bottle, but will be doing my entire vehicle, including summer wheels.
Appreciate 0