Thread: X5 vs Cayenne
View Single Post
      03-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #6
DeepFly52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 (991.2), x45e

I just sold my Cayenne (2021 GTS Coupe) about a month ago, I had it for two years. I probably took advantage of 50% of its potential, in other words I mostly drove it within city speed limits with occasional spirited driving and hardly went over 80 on the freeway. It was my "hauler" for my road bike, I put about 8K miles on it in those two years as I split time driving it with my A6.

Looking back I know I bought it because I just wanted to have a car that had all that performance esp with a Porsche badge, but for my actual use it was more than I needed. Getting older I've noticed I don't like the loud cold starts as much, lol, and stop light racing was a thing of the past. (The GTS has one of the best sounding exhausts I've owned, better than 911 with sport exhaust IMO). If I could afford to collect cars I would definitely have kept the GTS, though.

I've now put in an order for a 2023 45e. I'd prefer to get the extended range of the 50e but after playing with iDrive 8 in the showroom and seeing the lack of certain buttons the 2024 will have, I'll be more than happy with the 2023 setup. I think iDrive 7 is many steps ahead compared to the PCM in the Porsche. I did like the feel of the buttons better in the Cayenne, pushing the different mode buttons in the X5 (for electric, sport, hybrid) felt really weird and not communicative.

When I configured the X5 I was shocked at everything that was included in the final price. Every option checked off came to 40k under my Cayenne (although I had rear wheel steering and soft close doors on the Cayenne, which I liked).

In hindsight if I had bought the Cayenne plug-in instead of the GTS I would have most likely kept it, I just didn't realize at the time that my needs as I've gotten older have changed.
Appreciate 6