View Single Post
      08-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #31
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Nope...the starter motor is only used to start the ICE when you are stopped. When the vehicle is in motion and it needs to start the ICE, clutches in the transmission engage and the ICE is 'tow' started like popping the clutch on a manual transmissioned vehicle, powered by the EV motor and momentum.

When needed, like when the HVB is discharged, the ICE is running, it will turn the EV motor into a generator (using those same clutches), feeding the HVB, which feeds the DC-DC inverter keeping the 12vdc system operational.

As long as you have gas, once the vehicle is running, it will continue to run, feed the 12vdc system, which powers all of the computers, lights, fans, heaters, etc. Without enough 12vdc battery, you can't turn the computers on or power the starter motor, so you're dead in the water.
Thanks for this. I am hoping this is my issue. I just posted separately that my wife went to start our 45e and it just died completely. Currently at the dealer. Hopefully they'll say it was just the 12v. No power at all
Appreciate 0