View Single Post
      09-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #46
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I literally have no idea how you made this trip into 7 charging stops unless it was below zero and you were going like 100 MPH. According to A Better Route Planner, you should be able to do a trip from North NJ to Niagra Falls on ONE stop in good weather. So factor in 2 additional stops due to colder weather and load, how on earth did you make SEVEN?

I played with the settings, set the reference consumption at 350 Wh/mile at 65, which is high, and set the speed up to 125% of the limit and STILL it only shows two stops and a total trip time of 6.5 hours. It's only a 375 mile run. Did you have like a 50 MPH headwind?

I'm not saying you're lying....but your situation is definitely not the norm. I've done 400 plus miles in one day in freezing weather with only 2 charging stops. And that was on a Model 3 performance with only a 75 kWh battery.
And see, that's the issue, it's ONLY a model 3 and y that can possibly achieve good results. S and x consume electricity at a rate that's rediculous. 85 mph is a consumption of 420 ish in nice weather and easily 450-480 in cold weather. Confirmed by tesla multiple times as being "normal due to the speed driven) I've even had 500+ before in sub freezing temps and this is just cruising. Driving the car like I would my m5 (flooring it at every occasion) I get around 700 wh/mi you can see my average over 18 thousand miles driven while I had the car is an appalling 444 wh/mi

Here's some analytics, as you can see a model s performance dual motor gets an average of 450 throughout the speed range. It does drop to like 380 if you're cruising at 65 consistently. Btw summer tires were 21 in winters were 19, I did notice around a 5% increase in wh/mi between winter and summer tires in same temp.

Oh and that's my niagara trip, 7 drives aka charging stops (or is that 6?) Because you don't charge to 100% you stop and charge 30-40% every 80-100 miles. Heck some of these I stayed another 20 mins just to skip another charger because I was fed up with slowing down taking a 5 mile detour at 35 mph to go to a charger. Either way wasn't a fun trip. Had a 2018 p100d loaner, it averaged around the same. Took a plaid out over the weekend as a test drive, it did marginally better, but sustained 85 mph (max autopilot speed) still was around 430 and that was with 19s. Now a model 3 or y? For whatever reason those do around 350 at 85. Probably because the motors are less powerful using less energy overall (sort of how a v8 will always use more gas than an i6)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
brava09768.50
tsbrown1140.00