View Single Post
      10-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #28
Gadgetluva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Whether or not you want to carry a spare tire is entirely a personal choice. I carried one on my recent cross country road trip where I was driving through parts of the country where it was fairly far from a service center, and the total miles driven in this trip was around 5000. I have a 2023 45e, so no room for a spare under the cargo area. So here’s what I did:
  • Got a spare tire from a seller on these forums that came with the full factory kit
  • Got a spare tire cover
  • Loaded the spare tire in the cargo area and strapped it down using the anchor points and some small ratchet straps
  • I also installed a Travall cargo guard to keep luggage/cargo from spilling into the cabin under hard braking scenarios. You never know what can happen on the road. I especially didn’t want a 30lb spare tire finding its way into the cabin.

I took every precaution to be safe while on the road, and luckily my road trips have gone well. I don’t always carry a spare - it depends on what parts of the country I’m driving through - but always have an air compressor on me so that I can pump up the tires if there’s a slow leak periodically to get me to a service center.

Be warned that the spare tire will eat up a good amount of storage space in your car, but it’s also great for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0