View Single Post
      10-02-2023, 09:39 AM   #32
chrisado
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

I have come around to appreciating the run flats. I do road trips to my cabin which has 60km of rough gravel road and no cell service. I had a blow out from a large rock that created a gash in the side wall of the runflat. I could actually insert my hand inside the tire. It was pitch black outside, bears in the area etc. I decided to keep driving another 50km to the cabin. The next morning, I checked the wheel out - no rim damge and the tire was still intact on the rim. The downside of these runflats is ypu can only go max100km on them safely but that is the same for any compact spare. So.. my recommendation is to bring a full size spare for roadtrips involving rough roads and remote locations. I still stick with run flats because I have seen vehicles on this particular road with two flats! Despite the cost of replacements, the performance with such damage was really impressive. It all depends on the type of use though. If I only drove in cities or well maintained roads, I would probably swap out the tires for non run flats.
Appreciate 0