11-30-2023, 05:09 PM   #49
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPA8888 View Post
For me, the interface with the car should be about choices. Varying ways to go about accomplishing a task or creating an outcome. The physical button layout on the X5 has been excellent I think. Not a random dispersement of buttons, but well organized according to function.

If BMW's intent was to provide extra convenience for the driver, ok - add redundant functionality that can be accomplished within the iDrive interface. Add that in conjunction with the physical buttons.

Reality is - the move to eliminate the buttons is 100% cost reduction motivated.

The currently automotive value environment from the manufacturer's perspective is focused and centered on cost reduction.

Regarding the topic of technology advancement relative to iDrive interface in conjunction with physical buttons - there's an excellent segment in this video (starts at about the 1 minute point) that touches on this...
He, and you, nail it regarding choices. Thanks for sharing.

IOW, BMW created the "perfect", easy to operate/control car with this variant.

I normally trade out of cars in 3-5 years. Am keeping my 2019 X5.

About time I fixed her up with a new coat of ceramic coating although she's still beading 4 plus years later.

Merino leather is holding up great.

Last edited by Mixitt; 11-30-2023 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0