TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y, BMW X5 50e

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
You are absolutely correct. I have stated this situation could be a gap in other thread. However, for my own 45e, I have done about 7 tanks of gas, from Feb of this year to about June, where I didn't charge the car at all, drove I in hybrid mode. Per tank, I take the mile drive / gas put in, and I got 22mpg. I have that table post somewhere here as well. This number matches my formula up to the whole number.

Here is my observation
1. Under stop and condition, the amount of reg is very mild. Say between two traffic lights. The main regen is the part you slow to to stop. However, this portion is small, where as soon you hit the gas paddle, car is moving, ice is on.
2. In highway, the regen is even smaller at coasting. The car know the most efficient way is minimal regen. You do get some regen to when slow down, say to exist highway, but this happens far and few in between. To get the car back up to speet, it take more energy than 40i because of the weight. In pre lci, the weight difference is 800lb, or 15%. Which is significantly.
3. In my test, if regen has meaningful mount, I should see significant edrive miles. But I don't. Per tank, I was doing about 350 miles. Trip computer recorded single digital edrive mile for every tank. Single digital here mean 5 miles. So even if I factory in 5 mile in my formula, it is a 1-1.5% different.
Interesting, if your 45e got 22 mpg on multiple tanks with the HVB at 0% using the distance traveled/gallons consumed formula, then it is what it is. I would have thought it would be higher. I wonder if the bigger electric motor in the 50e means more regen capability (a bigger electric motor = bigger generating capacity with similar kinetic energy)?

I have not done a trip on 0% SOC yet on my 50e, but will around 21 Dec. I have to take a trip from Fredericksburg VA to Charlotte NC and back. I'll start with a 100% SOC on the HVB and will use ECO pro for the trip down. I should arrive with 0% SOC, and I won't have time to recharge the HBV before the return leg. So for the return trip I should get a good data point for the actual MPG at highway speed once the HVB is depleted.

To date, I've only taken one 55 mile trip using the battery hold mode and achieved a trip MPG of 27 mpg. So I have a data point of 1 in stop and go I-95 traffic. I did that because didn't have my Lectron Telsa to J1772 adapter, and was having to use 110 power to recharge the 50e. FYI -- it was taking 24+ hours to go from 0-100% SOC in the 50e using 110 power. Anyway, at the start of this 55 mile trip home, I had about 3 miles of EV range. So I turned on SOC hold mode to save myself about 2 hours of charging to get it back to 100%, and I was curious to see what kind of mpg I would achieve.

With my Telsa charger and the Lectron adapter, I can now recharge my 50e at 32A, so it only takes about 3 hrs to go from a 0-100% HVB SOC. I intend to use a much grid power as possible moving forward. Costco is such a pain.
Appreciate 0