12-09-2023, 07:21 AM   #5215
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Now who here trusts Google NEST and Amazon Echo to not be involved in data sharing and government compliance in a "emergency"?
I installed a NEST thermostat when they first came out and were not a Google company. It was nice to be able to remotely control the HVAC from anywhere in the world (for me just the USA really). I liked its feature that it tracks the weather via the internet in advance and adjusts operation of the HVAC accordingly. I live in a unique house mainly built in 1852 that is a few levels above a tent with regards to retaining conditioned air. So, better control of the HVAC and some automatic control based on the weather was welcomed tech.

Then Google bought NEST. Fuck that; Google doesn't need to know how I heat and cool my home. I've kept the NEST disconnected from the wifi ever since.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5161.00