12-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #85
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfresh View Post
Agreed, non M models and PHEV will suffer significantly after the 1st lap but for true M cars, cooling is a priority.

Not that 99.99% of people that own an X5M car would ever track it but if they DID, that is where the money is spent
Pet peeve of mine.

When testing cars for lap times, usually we talk about "beat single lap". Often times that's after a warmup lap, then maybe 2-3 hot laps. Most tracks, this is maybe 7-8 minutes in. Most tracks day sessions are 20-30 minutes. The cooling needed to keep a car cool for a full session isn't free, it adds weight and lowers that max time. But you take that car that sets a hot lap out for another 10 minutes and it falls on its face or overheats. The C7 Corvette Z06 was a great example. It would.overheat like crazy, but if you could run a hot lap before the heat soaked in, it was crazy fast. It was on paper fast, but in reality, guys with c6 Z06s could run a faster session.

I watched a track test of the RS3 and the new M2 the other night. The RS3 was very close on its hot lap, but there's little doubt in my mind it couldn't keep up that pace for a 20 minute session. I suspect the M2 absolutely could.
Appreciate 2