12-31-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Do you run a dedicated winter set up? I am moving back to the Twin Cities this summer and will need to purchase one for whichever vehicle I end up with. Another quick question, how does the X5M do mpg wise running out on the freeway? I am not expecting great mileage, just curious.
I have Pirelli Scorpion Winters (Winter on the front and Winter2 on the rear) on the factory wheels. We don't get enough snowfall to warrant smaller diameter winter wheels - it's more about temperature degradation for me. I'll be getting a separate set of aftermarket wheels and tires for the upcoming summer. Before I got the winters mounted we had an unusually early cold/wet weekend (right at freezing, but ground was too cold for anything to freeze), and the OEM Michelin PS4S were extremely unhappy - no grip, skittish, and generally unpleasant to drive on. This isn't a surprise, of course, but as someone who many years ago (foolishly) survived on pure summers thru the winter, I was a little bit startled at how dramatic and sudden the difference was on these tires.

MPG at ~80mph hovered between 19.5 and 20, which was a little better than I expected. I manage almost 22 on my regular commute, which is closer to 70mph. And we won't talk about city or "spirited driving" MPG...
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1323.00