View Single Post
      02-06-2024, 03:35 PM   #7
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
That was what put me into a TBSS over an Explorer ST in 2020. The explorer chassis is great, but the quality was garbage.

Potential is a loaded question, there's guys running built B58s that make 1200hp. But they're putting 50 grand plus into their motors. There are likely not any 40i X5s like that, because they're the base model, and people would be more likely to try to make that kind of power in a smaller, lighter vehicle. There likely are B58s built further that make more power than the most built N63s. Then talking S58 and S63 (M motors), the S58 is in M3 and M4 and so again likely has motors built to a higher level to make more power.

I think you gotta decide how fast you want to go. None of these vehicles running 10s or less are gonna survive without super expensive built motors. Are you a consistent drag racer, or is that sort of just a "target" in your mind?

The M50I is a 3.9 to 60, 12.5s 1/4 mile car stock. It obviously down from that with a tune, but there's not a TON of options beyond that. If you really want to build a fast SUV, a Hellcat Durango or Trackhawk is probably the right place to start. Those are mid to upper 800hp range with a pulley, tune, and injectors. Before I bought my X5, that was at the top of my list. After driving the M50i, I realized that it was all I needed from a performance standpoint, and I didn't need to spend the extra 30 plus grand for the Hellcat plus mods of want to do to it.

Drive them all, go from there. It's really easy to get deluded by videos of people with their crazy built cars online. But unless you're going to the track or trying to run a YouTube channel, the performance that's gonna satisfy you is gonna be a LOT lower than the internet would have you thinking.
Appreciate 2